Title of the document

Boards

Jamie

Made a few cutting boards for some gifts. This one here was made for our community park auction. The town has been building a new city park for a few years and do a Facebook auction as a fundraiser. 0F917DD4-B922-472A-9C30-36A416A0818F.thumb.jpeg.831ba81973b45dab49cbcebf9ebb3b51.jpeg

Took the picture as it was in the process of soaking up some mineral oil yet. The state outline and lettering I cut in with a v groove bit and a plunge router. My wife has a circut that she cut the design out on, put the sticker on the board and painted over it. Removed the sticker to get the pattern to cut, then painted over the cut before sending back through the drum sander. With the variation in width on the letters I did try and adjust the depth of cut as I went   Have to say it worked better than I thought. There are a few wobbles in the cut but I can live with them. 

For finish I like to hit with around 5 coats of mineral oil then use a butcher block conditioner product. Seems to be a wax and mineral oil mix. 

• Like 4

looks great! however, is paint ok for a cutting board? just curious on a few things .. like blood getting into the groves and cleaning it out, wont the paint start to chip after a few times of that?

I am just curious ... I know a few cutting board FB pages I am on people lose their mind when people post an epoxy board haha. So curious if this is the same type of thing. 

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

looks great! however, is paint ok for a cutting board? just curious on a few things .. like blood getting into the groves and cleaning it out, wont the paint start to chip after a few times of that?

I am just curious ... I know a few cutting board FB pages I am on people lose their mind when people post an epoxy board haha. So curious if this is the same type of thing. 

That is a very good question, my answer is I don't know.  I have done one other board like this and gave it away as a wedding gift to really good friends, they havent said anything to me about it chipping out.  They are good enough friends that I would think they would mention it to me.  

My wife brought it up as well, thought we should maybe try stain in it. 

52 minutes ago, Jamie said:

thought we should maybe try stain in it. 

Maybe you could hit the routed shapes and lettering with a propane or MAPP gas torch and then run it though the drum sander to clean up the edges to get them crisp looking again.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Maybe you could hit the routed shapes and lettering with a propane or MAPP gas torch and then run it though the drum sander to clean up the edges to get them crisp looking again.

Now there is an idea

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

That is a very good question, my answer is I don't know.  I have done one other board like this and gave it away as a wedding gift to really good friends, they havent said anything to me about it chipping out.  They are good enough friends that I would think they would mention it to me.  

My wife brought it up as well, thought we should maybe try stain in it. 

Since it was a wedding gift, maybe they have never used it as a cutting board so nothing to report.  I would think that repeated use and washing would make the paint chip away.  Chet’s idea is a good 1.

• Like 1

That’s cool Jamie. I would have guessed the engraving was done with a cnc. I could do the outline of my state with a hand held router, only if I lived in Colorado or Wyoming and then I would have to have 4 guide boards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1