Title of the document

picture hanging equipment

Bushwacked

not sure if this goes here ... 

I am looking for better picture hanging equipment than the cheap stuff from HD. I have snapped like 4-5 screws off in the back of the boards I am trying to hang, it is quite annoying.

So I was thinking something like this wire: https://www.amazon.com/Picture-Hanging-100-Feet-Braided-Supports/dp/B082XXKVMF/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=picture+hanging+wire&qid=1627342256&sr=8-5

I like these type of D ring hooks: https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Picture-Hangers-Screws-Solutions/dp/B019QX7CY8/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/147-4197979-2832646?pd_rd_w=JXAqI&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=3B4JYBQWXHTB8RRYB1QX&pd_rd_r=92700f45-9147-4abc-acaa-89d93119248d&pd_rd_wg=4ahXp&pd_rd_i=B019QX7CY8&psc=1

However the screws are what get me ... is there screws this size that are actually good? Or are they so small no one cares to make good screws and I am stuck with garbage?

thoughts?  

52 minutes ago, Bob said:

The braided wire and d-rings are what I use.  I predrill for the screws using a vix bit.  Depending on the wood I also coat the screw with bees wax to lubricate the screw.

49 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Pre drilling is a must!  You could try to find higher quality screws, but if you pre drill may not be necessary.

Ya, I predrill but maybe I just got a bad batch when I snapped 3 in the same back frame. I will try the wax thing ... any kind in particular or Johnson's paste or renaissance good enough?

How heavy is the item you are trying to hang? I can’t say that I have ever snapped a screw out of the wood using the hangers you show. The d rings you referenced show a support load of 10# and the cable of 30#. If my pic or mirror is too heavy or wide, I will use two hooks mounted on the wall at quarter points to help distribute the weight and stress. You might also just use the d rings with two wall hooks and eliminate the cable all together. 

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

How heavy is the item you are trying to hang? I can’t say that I have ever snapped a screw out of the wood using the hangers you show. The d rings you referenced show a support load of 10# and the cable of 30#. If my pic or mirror is too heavy or wide, I will use two hooks mounted on the wall at quarter points to help distribute the weight and stress. You might also just use the d rings with two wall hooks and eliminate the cable all together. 

oh I snapped them just installing the screws, not actually hanging ...  Most things are between a pound or 2 and maybe 10 at the most. 

16 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

oh I snapped them just installing the screws, not actually hanging ...  Most things are between a pound or 2 and maybe 10 at the most. 

Can’t help you there. Perfection at screwing, comes with practice. 😀

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Kev said:

I use the hardware you linked and pre-drill.  I've never had an issue with the screws snapping.

ok cool, I will pick that and then and try it all out.

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Can’t help you there. Perfection at screwing, comes with practice. 😀

LOL! I see what you did there, I am just but a young grasshopper 🤣

7 hours ago, Jamie said:

Last resort is a 3" grk through the frame into a stud.  Shouldn't go anywhere after that 🙂

Are you putting those small screws in with a impact or a drill?  Maybe go the hand route. 

A little wax on the screw also helps..