Title of the document

Kitchen Cart

KoDean

So I’ve had some Purple Heart and Padauk sitting here waiting to be used and got an idea for a kitchen cart with a cutting board attached to the top. With the extra 2x4 pieces I had lying around I have not had to buy any materials so far. Also this is my first time doing half lap, dowel fasteners, and inlays so I’m loving the testing of my skills with this project.  

Any way. I wanted to get your thoughts on how to attach the bottom shelf. I built it using inner dimensions without thinking about how to attach it. The only thing I can come up with is using pocket holes in the corners to attach to the legs. Any other thoughts to avoid using screws as much as possible?

Credit to MWA woodworks on YouTube for the flag cutting board idea. 

8A534F6B-D6AE-42FF-AED6-CA57CCD7998D.jpeg

9A5EE55B-495D-4DE8-AE61-28D4AAF673E6.jpeg

0407BB6C-0C9D-4DB9-95C3-6CBFB31E3FA8.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tmize said:

I like the flag👍

So do I.

Nice looking project so far.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

You could run some long dowels from the outside.  That would match the dowels used in the 1/2 laps.

You could also install a small "apron" on the front and rear and then screw from the bottom.  This would also add some rigidity to that shelf.

Flag looks great!

Finished the top/cutting board of the build. I decided to add a 1/4” maple border. Unfortunately had some kick back that messed up a miter and was out of material, but my miter joints are improving. 

I ended up doing epoxy for the stars since my inlay wasn’t lining up after a couple of go’s. Just waiting on a few hinges to finish the cart and then it will be time to break down, sand, and paint. 

Also, I ended up just doing some small pocket screws for the bottom. 

CD728680-597E-491B-A427-2DCF4028F62C.jpeg

• Like 2