Title of the document

Undercut Bevel on a Round Piece

Chet

I want to do an under cut bevel on a round piece of wood.  Has anyone had experience with doing this and if so how did you go about it. 

The piece is 1 1/4" thick and 11 1/2" in diameter.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

38 minutes ago, Chet said:

I want to do an under cut bevel on a round piece of wood.  Has anyone had experience with doing this and if so how did you go about it. 

The piece is 1 1/4" thick and 11 1/2" in diameter.

Interesting situation!  Any pictures?

Obviously, I think a jig is in order..lol.   I think I would start with a "cradle" for the round object to lock it in place and then a top guide to put the track saw on.  

Or, are you trying to bevel the round into a wedge?  If that's the case, then a planer sled should do the trick..

I was planning on cutting the circle on my band saw with the circle cutting jig and then I wanted to bevel the bottom edge of the circle.

Its going to end up as a stool seat.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

12 minutes ago, Chet said:

I was planning on cutting the circle on my band saw with the circle cutting jig and then I wanted to bevel the bottom edge of the circle.

Its going to end up as a stool seat.

Ok..  I think the planer sled is the way to go..  Just shim it up and lock it in place where you want it and start making passes until you reach the desired shape..

10 hours ago, Bob said:

I guess it would depend on how wide you want the bevel to be, but would a 45* bevel bit in a router table work?   This round is only 3/4 thick and the bit is my largest bevel.  Just a WAG.

DSC_0052.JPG.c3d8fb724f04381478e4e1517182e061.JPG

This is what I was thinking of trying.  I was thinking of doing it in a few passes, raising the bit a little at a time.

Bob when you did this, did you use a pivot pin in you router table.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

This is what I was thinking of trying.  I was thinking of doing it in a few passes, raising the bit a little at a time.

Ah, ok, now I understand....lol

Yes, light cuts!

2 hours ago, Chet said:

I didn't do it.  I was thinking about your question and happened to have a large round in my scrap.  I set that up to see if it might work.  I would not cut it by raising the bit.  I would set the bit to final height and bring the fence forward and take multiple passed gradually moving the fence back.  Seems to me changing the bearing height with each pass might cause problems.  But I am just guessing.  

53 minutes ago, Bob said:

I didn't do it.  I was thinking about your question and happened to have a large round in my scrap.  I set that up to see if it might work.  I would not cut it by raising the bit.  I would set the bit to final height and bring the fence forward and take multiple passed gradually moving the fence back.  Seems to me changing the bearing height with each pass might cause problems.  But I am just guessing.  

I do round over's on my Lazy Susans and raise the bit making multiple passes. Same process for a chamfer.  @Bob  is correct though, you have to watch what the bearing is riding on.

I've done them with a pivot pin and with the fence and I prefer the fence.

3 hours ago, Coop said:

I guess there are times when it’s a good idea?

One of these days you will have a router table experience that will make say, right after you change you diaper, OH, thats why they use the pin.🤣

6 hours ago, Chet said:

One of these days you will have a router table experience that will make say, right after you change you diaper, OH, thats why they use the pin.🤣

Agreed!  I remember having the Big Daddy bit in the router table (even with a pin) and feeding one of the Maloof Rocker rear legs across it and it grabbed.  Flung that entire leg across the shop...lol. To this day, that bit still scares the hell out of me!