Title of the document

New Assembly Table Top

Kev

As most of you know, I made the top to my assembly table replaceable with hardboard.  Well, it's time to replace it so, I thought I'd capture it on video to show the ease of doing it but, also introduce some new tools to the woodworking community called Clecos.  Clecos come from the aircraft industry but, are used a great deal in automotive body work as well.  I'll touch more on these later when I actually get to that step.

What I wanted to touch on in this post is the hardboard itself.  I went to my local hardwood dealer to pick up a sheet of hardboard and they didn't have any.

What they did have is a bunch of the sheets that are used to protect plywood when it's shipped.  It's pretty much the same material as hardboard, same thickness, just a lighter color. The really cool part is that they give it away!  Now, it's not as nice as purchased hardboard because it served a purpose but, for an assembly table top or some drawer bottoms, it should work just fine..

I think that's the first time I've ever returned from the HW dealer without spending any money..  Food for thought and a question to ask of your HW dealers..

Pics and video to come..

48 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Only way not to spend money at HW dealer is to leave wallet at home, locked up or in wife’s possession.

lol..  I definitely had the exception to that rule today!

Here's a couple pictures for you guys..  Clecos going in to hold the old top to the new while I flush trimmed and the finished new top..  Took me probably less than 15 minutes to do and that included the filming.

1468532548_ClecosGoingIn.thumb.jpg.5b9ff312f1f6d9e232e84c62b351788f.jpg

Thumb.thumb.JPG.cadd967227237a061e2d80f11f3d6010.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jamie said:

The lighter color makes it hard to pick up. Thanks!

And it was even lighter..  I may actually have to put something darker on it for the video, we'll see.  I have some Lyvos stuff here that's quite a bit darker..

• 5 months later...