Title of the document

Kreg ACS

KoDean

I sold my miter saw a few months back because most of the cuts I can make with my track saw or my Fusion table saw. I’ve been contemplating on buying the ACS system from Kreg since I can store it away when not in use and then pull out if I need to make some cuts. Can you think of anything the ACS could do that my table saw or the track saw (stand alone) couldn’t do? Other then cut bigger pieces. 

• Like 1

The bigger pieces is the obvious big one..  The other "big one" is just speed and ease of use..

As I haven't seen your shop, I'm assuming that space is the issue that made you remove your chop saw?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kev said:

The bigger pieces is the obvious big one..  The other "big one" is just speed and ease of use..

As I haven't seen your shop, I'm assuming that space is the issue that made you remove your chop saw?

I’ll post my shop sometime this week to show off my layout but my biggest reason was dust collection. I never used it because I always hated cleaning up around it.

1 minute ago, KoDean said:

I’ll post my shop sometime this week to show off my layout but my biggest reason was dust collection. I never used it because I always hated cleaning up around it.

I have the Kapex with a dedicated CT vac and the DC still isn't great!  I completely understand not liking the clean up!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoDean said:

I even looked at upgrading to that since that has the best dust collection for a miter saw but I decided to just use that money to buy a number of tools since it still would have clean up involved anyway. 

For me, I'll still take the clean up over the set up to make special cuts..  Not right or wrong answer, just a difference in workflows..

I did find another reason to wonder an ACS purchase. If I am going to be cutting elongated angle cuts, the ACS would be a big help instead of running those cuts on a miter gauge on the table saw. Just for anybody that might be in the same camp as me.

5 minutes ago, KoDean said:

I did find another reason to wonder an ACS purchase. If I am going to be cutting elongated angle cuts, the ACS would be a big help instead of running those cuts on a miter gauge on the table saw. Just for anybody that might be in the same camp as me.

The track saw really shines for these long mitered cuts!  I did 2 beds with angled headboards and was able to do the glue up right off of the track saw.  

The only issue comes with the depth..  I haven't used the Kreig but, I know the Festool TS55 won't do a 45 degree angle on 8/4 material.  There's a long story about how I know that and it ended in a pretty expensive day as I bought the 55 and a 75 in the same day...lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 9:37 PM, Kev said:

There's a long story about how I know that and it ended in a pretty expensive day as I bought the 55 and a 75 in the same day...lol

DAMN expensive day! I didn’t realize the versatility of the track saw. I thought it only useful for breaking down ply. 

On 6/6/2021 at 9:56 PM, KoDean said:

I sold my miter saw a few months back because most of the cuts I can make with my track saw or my Fusion table saw. I’ve been contemplating on buying the ACS system from Kreg since I can store it away when not in use and then pull out if I need to make some cuts. Can you think of anything the ACS could do that my table saw or the track saw (stand alone) couldn’t do? Other then cut bigger pieces. 

Hello K! 👋

I went this route - the Festool-ish Multi-Function Slab.

https://www.multifunctionslab.com/the-features.html

It cost me $100 for the 4x8x1 HDF and $100 to have a CNC run the program (includes a shelf) .  $18.00 for the CAD program.

I then went with BenchDogsUK for all the Fence and Guide Rail Dogs...etc.

https://benchdogs.co.uk/

All the Woodworking best to ya! 👍

Tips 🎩,

RXR

• Like 1