Title of the document

Bedroom Armoire

Coop

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

Kev, the euro hinges were a great idea. I bought the Blum soft close and no latches or magnets needed. I’ve used euro hinges before on shop cabinets and didn’t give much thought when drilling the cup hole but I stopped just about every third revolution of the drill bit to measure the depth on this project, to keep from drilling thru the doors! 😀

Awesome!  So glad it worked out well for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I got maybe too damn lucky on the two inset doors. I cut some thin strips and sanded them down to 1/16” on the drum sander and worked the doors to where these strips fit nicely around the edges and between the doors. Sitting here tonight planning the spraying of one primer coat, two base coats and one clear top coat and got to thinking about how thick these will be. Should I mill a tad more off of all four sides of the two doors to accommodate the paint? I could probably eliminate the clear coat as I am using Benjamin Moore’s cabinet paint per Chet’s satisfaction on his cabinets. 

1 minute ago, Coop said:

I got maybe too damn lucky on the two inset doors. I cut some thin strips and sanded them down to 1/16” on the drum sander and worked the doors to where these strips fit nicely around the edges and between the doors. Sitting here tonight planning the spraying of one primer coat, two base coats and one clear top coat and got to thinking about how thick these will be. Should I mill a tad more off of all four sides of the two doors to accommodate the paint? I could probably eliminate the clear coat as I am using Benjamin Moore’s cabinet paint per Chet’s satisfaction on his cabinets. 

Perhaps just applying light coats on those surfaces will be enough..  In hindsight, a 3/32 gap may have been better but, I'm not sure I'd mess with it if the gaps are good now!

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

Good idea. Yeah, they are much better than I ever thought me with a hand plane and the adjustability of the euro hinges would ever get. 

I think you're a better woodworker than you give yourself credit for!

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment but like success at the BJ table, there was a bunch of luck involved. And thanks for advice from you and Bryan and Chet. Otherwise I would have probably wimped out and done overlay, not saying overlay are not nice but I just wanted the challenge. 

• Like 3

They are two different sizes. The bottom  pic shows no “artificial “ stiles on the bottom section and the top pic shows them in place. The intent was to bring the upper stile lines straight down into the bottom section which they  are but the camera angle doesn’t reflect that. So Kev, your thought is to make the inserted bottom stiles the same width as the one on the right and not try and line them up? 

I’m confused (not hard I know), so in the bottom section with the fake stiles are they going to remain different sizes?  If the are, then my vote is leave them out, cause that looks like an after thought.  What may be a better fix would be frame the inside bottom panel with a decorative mounding.  Looks like it was a design element that way.

Bryan, originally, I tied the panel on the bottom section into the legs instead of having stiles as I thought it was too small of an area to have stiles. Then, building the top section, I thought it a good idea to have stiles as really, I didn’t have much choice. Now my dilemma is to tie the two together. The two rails or aprons (your definition) of the reveal on the rails is only 1/4” so I’m not sure what kind of decorative molding I could use. I may just go with a smaller stile on both sides as Kev suggests or just no stile at all on the bottom. This piece will fit diagonally in the corner of the room so I’m not sure if anyone will notice, regardless. Also, wife has picked a rose color with glaze so I bet the construction part will never be noticed. 😏

So, I'm going to take the opposite position from the others and saw to add the thinner stiles.  There's no wrong answer as it's personal preference but, because it's going to be a painted piece, I think it will look better.

Just an opinion.

• 1 month later...

Well, after spending $70 per gallon for two gallons of Benjamin Moore paint, $45 for primer and $80 for glaze and tint, I believe I could have made this from cherry and I would have been more satisfied but not what the “doctor ordered”. It’s functional and what she wanted but most of all, it’s finished and it’s out of my shop. And yes, priorities are in the correct order this time! 😀

i really like the Blum undermount soft close glides and the Blum European self closing hinges.

207ADE98-3A7D-4F11-93A6-E59E4807FC9D.thumb.jpeg.fadd37798810aba899a757d86f6e9073.jpeg7183F934-86E3-4E2B-B38C-47B456CE816E.thumb.jpeg.592909f4f51ea5bcdaebe1210b0b239a.jpeg6FED8DD4-8B67-4683-8027-BDD61EA87889.thumb.jpeg.f588dcddb694102e6cb47a5a2c760d29.jpeg

• Like 6

• 4 months later...