Title of the document

Hand Tool storage

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

Thinking about changing things up in the new shop!

I've had a hand tool cabinet and I've had a couple of tool walls.  They both have their pros and cons.

So, I'm considering a mixture in the new shop.  A cabinet for all the hand planes and items I don't use as often and the tool wall for the rest that I use more frequently.

Currently, the planes live in a drawer but, I'm just not overly happy with that option.  What I do like is that I can toss those little moisture packets in with them and don't have any rust issues.  Beyond that, there's really nothing that I like about their current storage.

I'd appreciate some thoughts and conversation!

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Follow up posts

1) Unfortunately I don't think there is an ultimate solution. I guess if you find rust to be a major issue in the new shop after all the kinks are worked out, keeping your planes in a drawer might be best even though less convenient.

2) Rust isn't currently an issue in my shop.  The reason I don't currently like the drawer option is totally nit picky but, I don't like bending over and opening a drawer to get them.  Reality is that the current situation works just fine.  I'd just like it to work better.

I do think you're right in that there really isn't an "ultimate solution".  I guess I'm just looking for options that I'm not seeing or may not know about.

3) My planes currently live in a drawer as well, for lack of wall space and like you, the little gel packs seem to be doing a decent job, but not entirely. Other than pics, the only cabinets I’ve seen were at Amana and in Rick’s shop in TN and I really like the looks as they are well displayed and they look better protected, aside from the humidity, which we have our share. I vote in your case, the cabinet if wall space is available.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus