Title of the document

Aircraft Tool Supply Countersink Kit

Kev

I know we talked about these some time back and I've had them in the shop for a while now..  Well, I finally broke one and took is for a test drive!

My history with this countersink comes from my Air Force days and working in aluminum.  I will say that they work really nicely in wood!

Pros:

• They're micro adjustable so, you can really dial them in for the screws you're using and get really good repeatability.
  • They're super easy to set up and lock in
  • The plastic protective ring does not mar the wood.

Cons:

• At about 90 bucks, they're a bit on the pricy side.  Link
  • You have to pilot drill prior to use making this a 2 step process.

For me, if I were doing a project that was going to have a lot of screw heads showing, this would be my go to countersink in my shop.

IMG_0039.thumb.JPG.aa55ca6f7716f83a9f4967edc098d26a.JPG

IMG_0045.thumb.JPG.30ebe782d37c7552435d3cb227475559.JPG

• Like 5

I wish there was a good, affordable countersink set that could be adjusted for any length screw of the same size. I have a couple for #6 & #8 screws that have the tapered bit that are suppose to be depth adjustable where there are two opposing hex nuts that seat into the flutes but they are less than desirable. The one you are showing, does it leave any crisper cut than the one I’ve seen you use that does nothing but the countersink with no bit? 

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

I wish there was a good, affordable countersink set that could be adjusted for any length screw of the same size. I have a couple for #6 & #8 screws that have the tapered bit that are suppose to be depth adjustable where there are two opposing hex nuts that seat into the flutes but they are less than desirable. The one you are showing, does it leave any crisper cut than the one I’ve seen you use that does nothing but the countersink with no bit? 

Yes, this one is cleaner for sure but, it's also new and sharp and the other one is quite a bit older.

I should have mentioned that those test cuts are in plywood so, they're pretty clean!  I didn't sand and hit it with a dab of ARS just for the color contrast.

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

Just thinking that the shank hole is the same on all of them but the head bore size is different. I’m assuming that you do the pilot hole first and then follow with this? 

Correct.