Title of the document

Bandsaw

Kev

Just starting up a thread for the new saw coming in and the old one going out.

Being replaced is the Grizzly G0555.  Fantastic saw that has done everything I've asked of it and more!  It's going to another woodworker who lives a few hours from me and I gave him a great price on it.

Showing up is the Laguna 1412.  I first got to use this at @Chet's shop and really liked the saw.  The problem was that it didn't do anything that my Grizz didn't do so, couldn't justify the cost.  However, as I get closer to retirement, it's time for the "forever" tools to be purchased.

New saw is due today between 6:00pm and 6:01pm per the delivery notification.

Old saw is going out tomorrow afternoon.

Initial reaction upon opening:

Impressed!  Super well packaged!  Only downside is that it didn't come with a blade.  I should have researched that long ago and been prepared so, my fault there.

I'll also have to change the plug as it doesn't match the receptacle I had installed.

I'll put the bed and stuff on it tomorrow and ensure it runs before getting rid of the packing material.

I use the wood slicer blades from Highland Woodworking.  They have served me well and they seem to get here pretty quickly considering they come from Georgia to California in four or five days.  I have called them a couple of times and if I remember they can tell you overt the phone when you should get your order. 

The 1412 takes 115" is the 14Bx the same?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

20 minutes ago, Kev said:

Initial reaction upon opening:

Impressed!  Super well packaged!  Only downside is that it didn't come with a blade.  I should have researched that long ago and been prepared so, my fault there.

I'll also have to change the plug as it doesn't match the receptacle I had installed.

I'll put the bed and stuff on it tomorrow and ensure it runs before getting rid of the packing material.

In the grand scheme of things, no blade isn’t a big deal, but it sort makes Laguna look like a cheap company. “Why do we need to include a blade, they can order 1 and listen to the motor hum it’s not like anyone wants to turn it on and cut something” Laguna Marketing Dept. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chet said:

I use the wood slicer blades from Highland Woodworking.  They have served me well and they seem to get here pretty quickly considering they come from Georgia to California in four or five days.  I have called them a couple of times and if I remember they can tell you overt the phone when you should get your order. 

The 1412 takes 115" is the 14Bx the same?

I ordered a few Timberwolf's for now.  I typically only run 1/4" blades on the smaller saw and they tend to hold up well.  Yes, 115"

9 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

In the grand scheme of things, no blade isn’t a big deal, but it sort makes Laguna look like a cheap company. “Why do we need to include a blade, they can order 1 and listen to the motor hum it’s not like anyone wants to turn it on and cut something” Laguna Marketing Dept. 

Kind of my thoughts as well.  Why would you leave out the business part of any cutting tool you buy?

14 hours ago, Kev said:

The problem was that it didn't do anything that my Grizz didn't do so, couldn't justify the cost.  However, as I get closer to retirement, it's time for the "forever" tools to be purchased.

You contradict yourself. What will the Lugano do after retirement that the Grizz couldn’t do prior too? 

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

You contradict yourself. What will the Lugano do after retirement that the Grizz couldn’t do prior too? 

Nothing..  But, I might not be able to afford the replacement after retirement..  Just trying to limit the post retirement costs..

• Thanks 1

Well, she's out of the box!

I'll have to assemble and change the plug on it but, that shouldn't be a big deal.

@Chet or anyone else that has this saw, have you upgraded to the Carter guides and did you notice a difference?  Obviously I'm going to run the stock set up for a while, just looking to the future..

IMG_1193.thumb.jpeg.17b933c6582cddf7bfcf77686724159c.jpeg

• Like 2

No I still have the original and I have been happy with them, they haven't given me any reason to want to change.  You get some sparks every once in a while, especially doing curve work but that is normal.  I read that somewhere in the manual or on Laguna's website in a Q & A.  

I do use this stone on a stick thing to round over the back edges of a new blade.

Unknown.jpeg.779d29b5ab835903caa0f2a643ec4e1c.jpeg

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

12 minutes ago, Chet said:

No I still have the original and I have been happy with them, they haven't given me any reason to want to change.  You get some sparks every once in a while, especially doing curve work but that is normal.  I read that somewhere in the manual or on Laguna's website in a Q & A.  

I do use this stone on a stick thing to round over the back edges of a new blade.

Unknown.jpeg.779d29b5ab835903caa0f2a643ec4e1c.jpeg

I read that in the manual as well..  When you say a "stone on a stick", is this something you ordered or something you made?  I assume you just turn the saw on with a new blade and do a little shaping to the metal on the back side of the blade?

Thanks!

I forgot where I got mine but Rockler carries them. Bandsaw Finishing Stone   Amazon might have them also.  I think I may have purchased mine through Highland with a blade order. 

I have seen people using their sharpening stone for this but I don't think I would do that for a number of reasons.

You are correct in its usage.  Your motion is as if your are rounding the back edge of the blade.  mainly you are clearing burrs and easing the edges.  I have heard where this is supposed to help with blade tracking also.

18 minutes ago, Chet said:

I forgot where I got mine but Rockler carries them. Bandsaw Finishing Stone   Amazon might have them also.  I think I may have purchased mine through Highland with a blade order. 

I have seen people using their sharpening stone for this but I don't think I would do that for a number of reasons.

You are correct in its usage.  Your motion is as if your are rounding the back edge of the blade.  mainly you are clearing burrs and easing the edges.  I have heard where this is supposed to help with blade tracking also.

Thanks!  Didn't find one on Amazon so, ordered the one you linked..

First to admit, this is new to me and I've had a bandsaw for a lot of years!

7 hours ago, Kev said:

@Chet or anyone else that has this saw, have you upgraded to the Carter guides and did you notice a difference?  Obviously I'm going to run the stock set up for a while, just looking to the future..

Kev I have the ceramics on both my Laguna bandsaws and would never go back but it seems to be a love or hate proposition. I'm in the I love ceramic guides camp.

BTW congrats on the saw!! Looks like a really nice unit.

Edited by pkinneb
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kev said:

I also still have to hook up the second DC hose when the Y part gets here.

Last month I added a 2nd bandsaw (Jet) that has 2 dc ports.  I got the same sticker shock looking for Nordfab Y's.  I refused  to pay and just blocked off the the lower port on the saw.  Seems to work OK.  One of my problems is that the drop for the bandsaw also serves my jointer, planer, and drum sander, so I picked up some of these magport fittings.  Really makes switching between tools a breeze.  I really like your new bandsaw kind of makes me jealous.

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Last month I added a 2nd bandsaw (Jet) that has 2 dc ports.  I got the same sticker shock looking for Nordfab Y's.  I refused  to pay and just blocked off the the lower port on the saw.  Seems to work OK.  One of my problems is that the drop for the bandsaw also serves my jointer, planer, and drum sander, so I picked up some of these magport fittings.  Really makes switching between tools a breeze.  I really like your new bandsaw kind of makes me jealous.

One of the things I actually considered is a short piece of flex hose to a PVC Y and then flex to the ports.  Would have worked just fine although, maybe a little unsightly next to all the Nordfab. 🤪

I will certainly be thinking about their pricing for any future tool acquisitions in the shop!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kev said:

to a PVC Y

There are some non Nordfab metal wyes out there that would have tied in better than PVC, Yes?

Just now, Chet said:

There are some non Nordfab metal wyes out there that would have tied in better than PVC, Yes?

I think either would have required the short stretch of flex to tie them together but, yes, I probably could have found a metal option.

32 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

jealous of the new bandsaw!! Cant wait to hear your thoughts ... 

Also curious, I know the Harvey was on your radar, how did this one win out?

The Laguna is pretty much the one to have in the 14" model.  I did look at the Harvey but, just had to stick with what I knew.  Now, if Harvey would come up with a 17" or 18" model, I would definitely do that when I upgrade the other bandsaw!