Title of the document

Sled Time

Kev

I thought about starting a new thread for this add-on but, since I'm not going to add to the plans or the videos, I'll just drop it in here for you guys..  

All of the pictures below are just prototype so, some improvements could be made to increase functionality in things like work holding.  I also didn't glue anything up or switch to a flat grind blade for the proof of concept I was shooting for today..

I wanted a way to create true splined miters using the jig so that grain matched mitered corners wouldn't have to be interrupted with splines for for reinforcement.  Here's what I came up with..  Keep in mind, this is just a prototype..

IMG_0168.thumb.JPG.415c10d6d79340ac621107cf4933f7b9.JPG

Obviously, it needs to be positioned/clamped onto the sled in the correct position for the spline that you want.

IMG_0166.thumb.JPG.c70d2ab685d6985ebf01e840ff6a124c.JPG

As this is just a prototype, I'm thinking a longer jig with some T-Track in the future for better work holding but, this worked for this test.  And, here's the results..

IMG_0167.thumb.JPG.88167e0b192aaf6cc6ae9cc0188d1725.JPG

It's not glued, there's no clamps, the spline could be cut to better fit, and I should have installed a flat grind blade but, I think you get the idea.  In all, this little jig only took me about 5 minutes to make where I think the final version may take a bit longer with the work holding that I'd like to add..

Regardless, some additional functionality to an already pretty cool sled!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Interesting concept!  So the blade is positioned at 90*?  I wonder instead of adding more onto your TS sled, if a smaller sled done and dedicated to the router table would work.  Not sure if set up time would be any different. 

Yes, blade stays at 90 using the same kerf on this sled as the one for the other splines.

Yes, you could also set something up for the router table but, that would involve additional parts to support the work piece. I think the set up would be much more involved and not as consistently accurate..  I believe Stumpy Nubbs did something like this recently.

Now, with all that said....  Where this jig wouldn't work is on something like a flag box where the miters aren't at 45 degrees.  This is set up for a 4 sided box.

To add just a little more fun and versatility to the sled, I added a segmenting jig as well.  22.5 degrees gives an 8 segment  circle.

Note: The design of the sled makes this very limiting in the width of the parts.  The sled as designed is good for up to 2" width material to make segments.  

IMG_0173.thumb.JPG.067b6c17fe1b7022890dea96bfd9f6da.JPG

The segments weren't perfect because I made the cuts to a line rather than a stop block.  I need to think about the stop block for a bit as it really shouldn't be attached to the sled to avoid any pinching on the blade.

Still, they came out pretty good for only using an eyeball to a line for each of the pieces.  Again, no glue (or sanding) just set in place.

IMG_0171.thumb.JPG.d314843d9f9a793a91c59c92ad289ffa.JPG

• Like 4

Just now, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Once you get this dialed in I would like to see a short video in action if not to much of a hassle, like those short shop wins videos.

Yea, with 2 additions to it I'm giving some thought to upgrading the plans to include the new stuff and doing another video to cover it all..

I need to move beyond the prototype stage and build some legitimate pieces for the filming..  I did some preliminary work for that today as well..

• Like 1

I’ve got a bunch of t track I bought months ago. I was planning on building several jigs with it. I guess sooner or later I need to get back in the shop an build them. I will definitely go thru this thread when I get the time some real good jigs in here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I’ve got a bunch of t track I bought months ago. I was planning on building several jigs with it. I guess sooner or later I need to get back in the shop an build them. I will definitely go thru this thread when I get the time some real good jigs in here. 

There's plans available on my website (free) for you as well..  I'll try and get these additions added to them but, they're not too complicated..

36 minutes ago, Coop said:

So the strip you cut is less than 2”? 

2 Inches wide, yes..  Generated a 4" closed bottom circle.  If you were making a bowel or something of that nature, you would just need longer pieces not wider pieces which could be accomplished on this jig.

• Thanks 1

Got all the parts in and got some motivation this morning!  

First up, I finished up the spline jig to go on the small box sled.  Just a larger version of the prototype with some T-Track installed for work holding..

IMG_0198.thumb.JPG.bd472ec52eb97272b72adbd05f100a14.JPG

And, I added the stopper block to the segment jig so that it locks into place every time at 22.5 degrees..

IMG_0201.thumb.JPG.1c713382c10b5d4698d34a8529db4174.JPG

IMG_0203.thumb.JPG.91731ce0531822c8c115bc62b4a31827.JPG

IMG_0200.thumb.JPG.050c0121ce908f22e128b8a88c22234a.JPG

I just need to finish up the video and then talk to Mark about adding to the plans..

• Like 3

I’m sure I avoid projects that require turning such as legs, or improvise and make tapered legs, but I have only hit on my friend one time, and that was to make a handle for a mallet. 

Lord help me and may my wife take away my cc if I ever get the cnc bug! 

7 minutes ago, Coop said:

I’m sure I avoid projects that require turning such as legs, or improvise and make tapered legs, but I have only hit on my friend one time, and that was to make a handle for a mallet. 

Lord help me and may my wife take away my cc if I ever get the cnc bug! 

I don't really "avoid" turning projects although I don't think my skills are appropriate to put on film...lol

I had a Jet lathe for about 18 months.  I tried all sorts of things, bowls, spindles, table legs, I even made a baseball bat but non of it held my interest.  For some reason the price of lathes really shot up during that time and I ended selling it for twice the price I paid for it new, to the first person that saw the ad.  I used that money to help buy my Laguna bandsaw which I use ALLLL the time.  It even sits in the same spot the lathe was in.  And I have never missed the lathe. 

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus