Title of the document

Sled Time

Kev

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Coop said:

I ran my tee track under both fences until I realized that you have to get the bolt head in somehow. Kind of embarrassing but not un-correctable. 

lol..  Easy mistake to make!  I cut mine long initially and had to recut them.

1 minute ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I wish I would have seen this before I made mine.  The lighting around the TS seemed darker than usual.  

I had a couple camera issues filming this one..  I'm not sure what happened but, it was too late to reshoot as the sled was done..

Great video Kev!  The HDPE you mentioned. Is it the stuff that commercial cutting boards are made of? I have an old 4’ x 18” cutting board from a demoed Wendy’s that I have planed flat that I use for my runners. I suspect it’s the same stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

Great video Kev!  The HDPE you mentioned. Is it the stuff that commercial cutting boards are made of? I have an old 4’ x 18” cutting board from a demoed Wendy’s that I have planed flat that I use for my runners. I suspect it’s the same stuff. 

Yes.

Keep in mind that if you use it for runners and over tighten your screws, you'll spread it and create issues with your runner.  Now, if you're creating off cut support like @Chet that @Bob mentioned, this could be used in your favor since you don't want that one to slide so freely.

Gotcha. Yeah, I counter sunk my screw heads and snugged the screws down with a screw driver to prevent the expansion. Worked like a dream. 

And I am going to and I suspect Chet did as well, not have the 45* cut of the support piece, touching the blade but a 1/16 or so away from it, even though it will have a runner. 

Edited by Coop

Kev, how did you initially set the back fence? With a square to the blade? So far, using playing cards instead of feeler gauges as William did, I am still a little over 1 mm off on the 5th cut on an 8” piece. This is after drilling 5 different hole adjustments. 

Edited by Coop

7 minutes ago, Coop said:

Kev, how did you initially set the back fence? With a square to the blade? So far, using playing cards instead of feeler gauges as William did, I am still a little over 1 mm off on the 5th cut on an 8” piece. This is after drilling 5 different hole adjustments. 

If you watch the video, you'll see that I use the TS fence when setting the runner on the base.  Starting square goes a long way to nailing the fence!  

Now, with that said, I'll be the first to admit that I got pretty damn lucky and was pretty spot on on the first try.  I don't recall exactly what my numbers were but, I remember telling myself that I'd rather be lucky than good!

• Haha 1

I agree that using the fence will locate the runner in the right location, parallel to the ts fence and blade, and I did the same. However, that doesn’t locate the 90* back fence for you. Yep, you were damn lucky! 😀

i watched William’s video on the 2 cut miter sled and he mentioned the negative input he received on the 5 cut sled as being too difficult in the math. It did kind of overwhelm me but kudos to him for having a solution! I will go back and watch the 2 cut sled with greater interest. 

Coop the five cut method isn’t that difficult, when I built my sled, I raised the blade, put the Woodpeckers square against the blade, then put the fence on.  That was probably accurate enough but then did 5 cut, made adjustments with feeler gauge and did again.  Whole process probably took 10-15 minutes.

I wish I would have made my 45 cut like Kev, maybe I can fix.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Kev said:

Pretty excited about this instructable as it just hit 10k views!  I've only had a few projects there that have hit that kind of number..  If you've never seen the site before, I encourage you to go take a look.  You can submit your own projects there and potentially win some pretty cool prizes!

https://www.instructables.com/Small-Box-Sled/

That’s awesome! Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing the info

• Like 1