Title of the document

Ipe

Coop

Either my search skills are lacking or it hasn’t been mentioned on here. I need to build a couple of small end tables for our patio and if I like the resulting looks of the wood, a couple of larger tables. Google search shows it used mainly for decking. Have any of you had experience with this stuff? 

7 minutes ago, Coop said:

Either my search skills are lacking or it hasn’t been mentioned on here. I need to build a couple of small end tables for our patio and if I like the resulting looks of the wood, a couple of larger tables. Google search shows it used mainly for decking. Have any of you had experience with this stuff? 

I have not personally built with it but, I do know that it's primarily used for decking and it's harder than a rock!  I've heard stories of people wearing out drill bits after just a few pilot holes.

Don't let that scare you off, those stories are from run of the mil DIY'ers so take it with a grain of salt.

It was probably 7-8 years ago.  I made a few small items, like a tablet holder and business card holders for a few clients.  I don’t have any of them so not sure how it aged.  I tried turning as pen blanks, just didn’t work well.  The 1 piece I have left is a dark brown.  It will get lighter and a bit of a red with age and UV exposure.  Reason it’s called Brazillion Cherry.  I have seen on a few boats and looks great, but hard to acquire in long useable lengths. I actually like teak better, but it is just to damn expensive.

• Like 1