Title of the document

Apologies for the Down Time!

Kev

First and most important, apologies for the down time.

It started with a faulty hard drive and led to a bunch of other issues.  If anything is missing, we have to company we entrusted to do our backups to thank for that!  At worst, it should only be a few days.

We're currently working on the issues with the older pictures.  Even though I'm going to post an updated picture on the Desk build, I would suggest waiting to post pictures until we get that issue resolved.  My Desk post with a picture is as much a test as it is an update.

We're working diligently to ensure that this doesn't happen again!  I'm learning this process as I go and learning a lot of lessons!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to put out an update on this..

Our fix was a little expensive but, it's in the works!

We have a secondary server on the way to act as the back up.  Both servers will have a common hard drive set up and a redundant back up drive.  

So, if one server goes down, the other one kicks in.  If the hard drive goes down, the backup kicks in..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

Is that unusual for a server to go down like that? 

To have a hard drive crap out is not that uncommon.  But, to have the company hired to take care of the backups not doing their job is unusual.  

Regardless, my goal was to not have to rely on someone else to keep this up and running.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to drop everyone an update..

The new backup server is up and running.  There's a little manual work to do if the main server goes down but, it should be a very reduced time!

Also, we're changing the backup time to 9pm daily.  The thought being that the bulk of this forum's traffic is done by around 9pm each night and the reboot is scheduled for midnight.

• Like 1