Title of the document

Reaching out for ideas...

Kev

I had a couple cutting boards that I needed to get done as client projects.  Upon applying salad bowel finish to the first one, I dropped it when flipping it over and it landed really hard on a painter's pyramid.  Things I know..

1.  It's in such a location that I can't just simply make the board a little smaller

2.  It's sufficiently deep enough that I can't steam it out

3.  It's not in a location where a juice groove will take care of it.

4.  I'm really pissed at myself!

Additional info:  

1.  The client hasn't seen this board yet so, it's not the end of the earth if I have to completely remake it, it's only time.  And, frankly, I'm not that excited about this board either but, I don't want to call it a waste of time.

2.  I've thought about tossing some epoxy in it with some color and turning the flaw into a feature.

3.  I've also thought about drilling it and just popping in a dowel

4.  It's endgrain

Looking for something I haven't thought of..

1. Did you try actually try steaming it out.  I have gone extreme on this a couple of times and just got the wood soaked pretty good under running water then taking a towel soaking it a ringing it out just enough to not be making a mess all over the place and using the highest setting on the iron.   I got something that was close to 1/8 deep this way.   It wasn't end grain though.  I think terry clothe works best over tee shirt or micro fiber, I think it hold moister longer.

2. How about a combo?  Get it as far as you can with steam, then epoxy.

3. I think epoxy would be better then a dowel.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

44 minutes ago, Bob said:

I.  I am sorry it happened.

2.  I am glad stuff like this happens to other people.

3.  I like the epoxy feature choice.

Thanks Bob!  Maybe I've been on forums too long and try and think about the questions before they come up..  Regardless, your answer to the post made my day!  I mean this in all sincerity!  I'm am literally laughing hysterically because I've answered this post so many times....

43 minutes ago, Chet said:

1. Did you try actually try steaming it out.  I have gone extreme on this a couple of times and just got the wood soaked pretty good under running water then taking a towel soaking it a ringing it out just enough to not be making a mess all over the place and using the highest setting on the iron.   I got something that was close to 1/8 deep this way.   It wasn't end grain though.  I think terry clothe works best over tee shirt or micro fiber, I think it hold moister longer.

2. How about a combo?  Get it as far as you can with steam, then epoxy.

3. I think epoxy would be better then a dowel.

This is really deep..  I really don't think steam is going to do anything for this one!

The other board is an end grain that needed a little epoxy love so, I dropped some in the damaged board as well for now.

I am considering doing some kind of epoxy inlay.  The damaged board is all face grain and intended for more decoration so, I could probably get away with something like that.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I am considering doing some kind of epoxy inlay.

Lol, If you made it look like a dribble of juice the owners would constantly be trying to wipe it off.

• Haha 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

18 minutes ago, Coop said:

You contradict yourself. The first post you said under addition info that it is end grain and in your last, you said face grain. 

Can you flip it over and declare the good side as the top by putting a juice groove in it? 

Sorry..  The keeper board (second board) is end grain..  This board is face grain..

16 minutes ago, Chet said:

Lol, If you made it look like a dribble of juice the owners would constantly be trying to wipe it off.

Now that's something I didn't consider but, I like where you're going! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Why not inlay the first initial of there last name in that spot.  Otherwise I got nothing for you.

I've actually thought about this idea some as well..  My concern is its positioning to the wavy line I've put in the board..

This was a total dumb-ass mistake on my part and the "easy" solutions are not jumping out at me..  Here's hoping the epoxy comes out well!

Hell, by the time this little quick project is over it will be a river table! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is probably one of those things that the "fix" got discussed longer then it would have taken to to make a new one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Kev said:

I've actually thought about this idea some as well..  My concern is its positioning to the wavy line I've put in the board..

This was a total dumb-ass mistake on my part and the "easy" solutions are not jumping out at me..  Here's hoping the epoxy comes out well!

Hell, by the time this little quick project is over it will be a river table! ?

Don’t glue it to your bench! 

Don’t know how big of dent this is but a trick I have used in the past is to cut the dent a little bigger to make look like a more natural defect than a perfectly round hole. Make it look like a pith pocket and fill it with epoxy. 

1 hour ago, RxR Sawdust Station said:

Can we see it, @Kev?  Not that that would help me help you but, it might help others with ideas on it.

?,

RXR

So, since this one had the big dent in it and was considerably thicker than it needed to be, I tried popping the curl in this one with some red transtint die and it came out hideous....lol. 

So, I removed the pink from the board at the planer which ultimately took out the original mistake as well..

As for pictures, here's this particular board as of now..  Not sure I'll do anything else to it..

IMG_1137.thumb.jpeg.cc8fa234bc727efe94e405bca38f3ebf.jpeg

Additionally, I used up some scrap in the shop to make this end grain board..

IMG_1138.thumb.jpeg.8675ff4f4ce5afd7df384520079f4dba.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kev said:

So, since this one had the big dent in it and was considerably thicker than it needed to be, I tried popping the curl in this one with some red transtint die and it came out hideous....lol. 

So, I removed the pink from the board at the planer which ultimately took out the original mistake as well..

As for pictures, here's this particular board as of now..  Not sure I'll do anything else to it..

IMG_1137.thumb.jpeg.cc8fa234bc727efe94e405bca38f3ebf.jpeg

Additionally, I used up some scrap in the shop to make this end grain board..

IMG_1138.thumb.jpeg.8675ff4f4ce5afd7df384520079f4dba.jpeg

As I said, I probably couldn't offer any help regarding your foible! ?  I can say, without hesitation, that bottom board is awesome!  Fantastic design! ?  Is the right side of that bottom board, the right side in this picture, a tapered joint?

?,

RXR

1 minute ago, RxR Sawdust Station said:

As I said, I probably couldn't offer any help regarding your foible! ?  I can say, without hesitation, that bottom board is awesome!  Fantastic design! ?  Is the right side of that bottom board, the right side in this picture, a tapered joint?

?,

RXR

No tapers in that one..

3 minutes ago, RxR Sawdust Station said:

Well well.

For the life of me, that looks like a tapered joint.

?,

RXR

That's the table that the picture was taken on....lol. 

I'll try to line the boards up better in the future...lol

• Haha 1