Title of the document

Router Lift Problem

Chet

I am having a situation lately were the set screws around the perimeter of the lift that are used to level my router lift in the table are riding down there by raising the lift above the table.  The first time I was doing pattern routing and I noticed that the bit itself seemed to be out of balance.  I change the bit and re-adjusted the lift to get it flush and there were know further problems.

Yesterday I was making some molding pieces with a quarter round bit and had no problems.  Today I was using a dovetail bit to cut some dovetail grooves for drawer slides and it happened again.  The first piece I ran jumped a little bit, I wasn't paying attention and I did have the grain the wrong direction.  After this I removed some of the waste first at the table saw and then went back to the router but over the course of 8 pieces 15 inches long it had raised again. 

When I adjust the lift I turn the screws to lower the lift and then start flushing the lift with the table by raising it this should leave the set screws under tension so I am puzzled as to what is going on. 

It is an Incra Master Lift

Any ideas are welcome.  I am going to contact Incra on Monday but was hoping the group here could solve it before then.

There are ten set screws around the perimeter.

IMG_0340.thumb.jpg.5f26a68b16420bd688873e8a1e2c03f1.jpg

This is one of the pieces I was working on.

IMG_0341.thumb.jpg.57edc534aec483a29938950b0e52ef5a.jpg

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 hour ago, Kev said:

As in the entire lift plate?  

Yep.   It is the entire plate,  so basically the weight or the whole lift, the plate, lift mechanism and router motor.  

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

30 minutes ago, Coop said:

I would suspect trash in the collet area not allowing the bit to seat correctly. 

It is not the bit that is rising it is the whole lift assembly.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Yep.   It is the entire plate,  so basically the weight or the whole lift, the plate, lift mechanism and router motor.  

Ok, that is strange!  lol

Odd suggestion..  Pull one screw at a time and fill the hole with epoxy.  pilot drill and reinstall the screw.

It's just a guess but, knowing that you have a DC box on that router, I'm guessing the force of the DC is placing force on those screws and has finally worn out the threads on the MDF.  In the end, you lose nothing but time with the test.

The metal plate of the lift sits in a rabbet in the MDF top.  The metal plate is threaded and that is were the set screws are.   To get the plate flush with the top you screw them down to raise the plate and lift assemble, you screw them up to lower the the plate and lift assembly.  Incra puts metal discs in the rabbet were the set screws come in contact with the rabbet so there is no wear at contact points.

And yes it is strange. 

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

The metal plate of the lift sits in a rabbet in the MDF top.  The metal plate is threaded and that is were the set screws are.   To get the plate flush with the top you screw them down to raise the plate and lift assemble, you screw them up to lower the the plate and lift assembly.  Incra puts metal discs in the rabbet were the set screws come in contact with the rabbet so there is no wear at contact points.

And yes it is strange. 

I thought the plates were held down with magnets?

apologies for not fully grasping this!

No problem.  I am not talking about the silver plate in the center I am speaking to the black plate.  If you look at the first picture you can make out the set screws around the boarder.  In the picture there are three toward the top of the picture and three at the bottom and then there are two each on the left and right side.

20 minutes ago, Chet said:

No problem.  I am not talking about the silver plate in the center I am speaking to the black plate.  If you look at the first picture you can make out the set screws around the boarder.  In the picture there are three toward the top of the picture and three at the bottom and then there are two each on the left and right side.

Ok..  So, it sounds to me like those are vibrating out on you..  If they were really bad, I'd suggest epoxy filling the hole, pilot drilling, and putting the screws back in.  Since it's not happening a lot, I'd start with a little loc-tite and see if that helps first. 

11 hours ago, Kev said:

I'd start with a little loc-tite and see if that helps first

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

That's what I was thinking as well.

I was thinking about this but I have never used it.  Do you put it on the screw, screw it in and hope that you get everything adjusted before the loc-tite sets up?

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

I was thinking about this but I have never used it.  Do you put it on the screw, screw it in and hope that you get everything adjusted before the loc-tite sets up?

Yep..  Curious how often you need to adjust these screws?

If you need to adjust them fairly often, I think I would epoxy the holes and start with new pilot holes.

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

Curious how often you need to adjust these screws?

I have only done it once since I bought this table until these two incidents the last couple weeks.  Thats what has me flummoxed. 

1 minute ago, Chet said:

I have only done it once since I bought this table until these two incidents the last couple weeks.  Thats what has me flummoxed. 

Yea, I'd start with the lock-tite then.  You'll have some working time with it.

It said the Red is more permanent and the blue you can still remove the screws or fasteners with hand tools.