Title of the document

Newbie - What do I need?

Kev

7 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Good start, easy to read and comprehensive.  I would add SCMI (Mini Max) to Felder category.  I have an old emailed price list that can give a ballpark on price.

I assume their pricing is in a similar category?  List updated...

And I might add, if I may, that there should be no stigma if your current tool falls into the lower budget items. Kev’s list shows the DeWalt planer in that category and I, as well as many others own this machine and love it. 

Edited by Coop

6 minutes ago, Coop said:

And I might add that there should be no stigma if your current tool falls into the lower budget items. Kev’s list shows the DeWalt planer in that category and I, as well as many others own this machine and love it. 

Agreed..  It's related to budget.  So, when you actually consider planers, the Dewalt 735 is on the higher end of the lunchbox planers and a great machine but, it's not in the same price category as most of the larger floor standing models.

Just for everyone's ease, the list is now moved to this page...

image.png.16c982f3116ba3c35425353520c85c8a.png

• Like 1

Just now, Bob said:

I know this is primarily about the hardware, but I wonder if some sort of reference library should be added.  Specific information would be too burdensome, maybe just subject matter and/or authors. etc...

I'm all for a reference library..  The hard part is maintaining it..  Definitely open to suggestions around creating and maintaining one in our reference section!

I'm going to try and add one or 2 tools to the list each day and then update the list here for discussion.  You guys are great at finding things that I missed or things that I goofed..  I only added Dust collection today.  This one is a bit tricky because it covers everything from a shop vac to the big set ups!

Anyway, pick it apart..

image.png.fe762b3397ab4b91d5a69c920189ddcc.png

12 minutes ago, Coop said:

my wife’s puppy

Thats because the puppy knows you aren't the boss.

• Haha 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Funny but true. Between the three of us, the puppy rules and that needs to be changed. All of my adult life, I’ve had labs and have trained them as pets and as retrievers. This damn Goldendoodle needs to be sent back to doggy heaven to be re-programmed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Funny but true. Between the three of us, the puppy rules and that needs to be changed. All of my adult life, I’ve had labs and have trained them as pets and as retrievers. This damn Goldendoodle needs to be sent back to doggy heaven to be re-programmed. 

I can see it now, Coop will spend 4 hours 1 day training the dog, getting it to behave and in its place, he will sit down and have a beer, goes for a 2nd and in those 15 minutes, Coop’s wife will completely undo his hard work.?

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2021 at 7:11 PM, Kev said:

Shop Equipment:

• Table Saw
  • Planer
  • Jointer
  • Dust Collection
  • Bandsaw
  • Miter Saw
  • Router Table
  • Drill Press
  • Drum Sander

I’m similar thinking as you but the middle gets moved around for me. 

- Table Saw

- Planer

- Dust Collector

- Band saw

- Router Table

- Drill Press

- Miter Saw

- Drum Sander

- Jointer

The reason I moved Jointer and Miter Saw lower is a table sash a good miter gauge can do what a miter saw can do. Same thing with a jointer. If you get a planet then you can make a sled that can cut straight lines to make your ends flat, like the jointer. Rather invest in a track saw first before buying a miter. 

One last bit of advice for any new woodworkers building their inventory - Pick your color options early when buying your battery powered tools. I’m in the process of converting Blue (Kobalt) to Red (Milwaukee) since I started out with the cheaper option and not doing my research more in depth. 

9 minutes ago, KoDean said:

I’m similar thinking as you but the middle gets moved around for me. 

- Table Saw

- Planer

- Dust Collector

- Band saw

- Router Table

- Drill Press

- Miter Saw

- Drum Sander

- Jointer

The reason I moved Jointer and Miter Saw lower is a table sash a good miter gauge can do what a miter saw can do. Same thing with a jointer. If you get a planet then you can make a sled that can cut straight lines to make your ends flat, like the jointer. Rather invest in a track saw first before buying a miter. 

One last bit of advice for any new woodworkers building their inventory - Pick your color options early when buying your battery powered tools. I’m in the process of converting Blue (Kobalt) to Red (Milwaukee) since I started out with the cheaper option and not doing my research more in depth. 

I would argue the point on the jointer all day, I think it should almost be the first tool you need. The first stop in any furniture build with a piece of lumber would be over the jointer. Hard to do fine work with out of square lumber. 

Now that being said there are ways to get straight edges on boards without a jointer, and flat faces for that matter. Just take a ton of time and effort. Many ways to skin a cat

5 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I would argue the point on the jointer all day, I think it should almost be the first tool you need. The first stop in any furniture build with a piece of lumber would be over the jointer. Hard to do fine work with out of square lumber. 

Now that being said there are ways to get straight edges on boards without a jointer, and flat faces for that matter. Just take a ton of time and effort. Many ways to skin a cat

I agree with this but, it is possible with just a planer.  It is quite a bit more work but, it is possible.

I too could argue my top 3 all day because flat and square is the most important part.  However, I also realize that there's more than one way to get there.

• Like 1