Title of the document

Outdoor mailbox sign

I’ve looked around and watched a few of marcs videos too on his outdoor stuff. 

what are y’all’s go to finishes for outdoors? This sign will be on a mailbox so it’s gonna get beat to death by sun/rain 

As for keeping the brushed aluminum plate on I was thinking of just using epoxy on the back of the numbers and the pocket it sits in to hold it. Any better ways? 

2581A822-3A30-4E13-A526-91D9BDB19E27.jpeg

08147EE5-76FE-4F2B-A8AD-834573B63829.jpeg

6912E86B-C0C8-48FD-9AEC-2CFB90989005.jpeg

• Like 2

I think epoxy is fine for holding it in place.  You could add a couple screws just for a little assurance over time.  I might also consider a coat of either paint or clear on the aluminum to protect it over time.

As for finishes, if I were doing this project, I would probably go with epiphanies.  It holds up well outdoors and has some UV inhibitors that will make it last a little longer.  It will be a bit more of a PITA when it is time to refinish it but, you should be longer between needing to do this task.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kev said:

I think epoxy is fine for holding it in place.  You could add a couple screws just for a little assurance over time.  I might also consider a coat of either paint or clear on the aluminum to protect it over time.

As for finishes, if I were doing this project, I would probably go with epiphanies.  It holds up well outdoors and has some UV inhibitors that will make it last a little longer.  It will be a bit more of a PITA when it is time to refinish it but, you should be longer between needing to do this task.

Thanks Kev! I will probably give that a try since Epip seems super highly rated ... never used it before since I have never had the need to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Thanks Kev! I will probably give that a try since Epip seems super highly rated ... never used it before since I have never had the need to.

It's a little more expensive!  I used it on a planter box/fake window frame for the front of my neighbor's house and it has held up well.

• Like 1

I am not sure if this is the only way to identify your house, but it may be very hard to see at night unless you can illuminate it.  The dark wood and aluminum provide little contrast.  I say this because I had to pick my son up at his friends house tonight, never been there before, they had a white mailbox with silver numbers, couldn’t see it in the dark.  This was at a $900K home, so a light shouldn’t have broken the bank.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I am not sure if this is the only way to identify your house, but it may be very hard to see at night unless you can illuminate it.  The dark wood and aluminum provide little contrast.  I say this because I had to pick my son up at his friends house tonight, never been there before, they had a white mailbox with silver numbers, couldn’t see it in the dark.  This was at a $900K home, so a light shouldn’t have broken the bank.

LOL! maybe all their money goes to the mortgage ... 

Well, my initial thought was that the lights would reflect off the silver and you could see the numbers ... maybe not?