Title of the document

Jointer Pal

Chet

This doesn't pertain to those of you with helical heads in your tools but for the rest this may be of interest. ?

I was working on my current project and something just wasn't feeling right with the jointer performance when jointing face grain.  I decided to just shut the project down and I started giving the jointer a tune up.  I found some minor things but the culprit was probably some improper knife adjustment.  The one time I had done this in the past I used the Mickey Mouse jig that came with the Jointer, thats in the trash now.

After running across the video below from Grizzly on using the Jointer Pal jig by Woodstock I decided to give it a try.  I ordered it from amazon.  If you watch their video and follow the instructions that come with the jig I think you will be happy with the results.  My jointer is running as good maybe better then when I got it.  The only thing I did that isn't mentioned is I put some weight on the jig portion that sets on the out feed table.  This kept it from sliding around and freed up both hands.

Grizzly video on Jointer knife adjusting.

Woodstock Jointer Pal

IMG_0287.thumb.jpg.375778f9828909a1b7adc404412370d1.jpg

• Like 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

No, it's Kev's favorite brand, 8 inch Powermatic.  I just happen to run across the Grizzly video looking for information on good ways to adjust my knives.

• Haha 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Wish I had that machine although my only dissatisfaction with my Grizz is that it’s a 6”. Do me a favor and the next time you recommend a product, put a ☠️ in front of the post. That will notify me not to read it, thus saving me money?. Just kidding as this does look like a neat tool although not often used! 

2 hours ago, Coop said:

as this does look like a neat tool although not often used! 

It's one of those tools that when you need it, it is worth the money spent.

Coop, I meant to add up above, when I bought my PM jointer I wasn't going after the brand.  I was really set on one from Grizzly, I owned a 6 inch of they're for 18 years and except having t replace the switch once it never let me down.  But at the time they were going through some weird problem and all their jointers we back ordered between 3 and 6 months and I didn't want to wait that long. 

• Like 1