Title of the document

Drum sander

Jamie

15 hours ago, Jamie said:

Man the tracking they have on shipping these days is getting pretty accurate! 

I have noticed on some amazon deliveries that they will tell you how many stops before they get to you, a long with an active map that shows where the driver is presently.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

I have noticed on some amazon deliveries that they will tell you how many stops before they get to you, a long with an active map that shows where the driver is presently.

Obviously, I'm a little more rural than others so, I've noticed "out for delivery by 8pm" a lot.  If it's after 4pm, that means next day.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a sander.  Ended up going with the shopfox 26" fingers crossed that I will have it in a month or so.

Congrats!  I use mine all the time!

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Congrats!  I use mine all the time!

Thanks! I use my little delta all the time, probably abuse it more than use it.  Just way underpowered for my needs.  Like the idea of having the double head.  Talking with grizzly today they are expecting arrival of these drum sanders May 17th, so should have it hopefully by the end of the month.  Plan is to have the electrical in place by then.  Not much to do on that end, other than to switch out the current box from a 20amp 220 to accept a 30amp plug.  Happy when I built the shop that I put in plenty of 220v circuits.  

43 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Thanks! I use my little delta all the time, probably abuse it more than use it.  Just way underpowered for my needs.  Like the idea of having the double head.  Talking with grizzly today they are expecting arrival of these drum sanders May 17th, so should have it hopefully by the end of the month.  Plan is to have the electrical in place by then.  Not much to do on that end, other than to switch out the current box from a 20amp 220 to accept a 30amp plug.  Happy when I built the shop that I put in plenty of 220v circuits.  

You can never have enough power...    or clamps......    or beer in the fridge.....   or hours in the shop.....   etc.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointing news on the sander. They originally told me of an arrival date to grizzly on may 15th. Called them today to check and see the progress, shipment never came in and as far as the lady could tell they haven’t even left the factory. New date is July 30. The good thing is they shipped the $350 worth of sandpaper out to me right away. 

38 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Disappointing news on the sander. They originally told me of an arrival date to grizzly on may 15th. Called them today to check and see the progress, shipment never came in and as far as the lady could tell they haven’t even left the factory. New date is July 30. The good thing is they shipped the $350 worth of sandpaper out to me right away. 

lol..  Seems about the norm these days..  Ship you the stuff you can't use without the item they didn't ship you..  Sometimes I think they just like to rub it in..lol

21 hours ago, Jamie said:

shipment never came in and as far as the lady could tell they haven’t even left the factory

Seems the biggest problem is a shortage of shipping containers.  I get almost weekly updates from vendors that I buy supplies from.  They are dealing with big delays from their suppliers because the suppliers are waiting for empty containers to show up.  Containers were used to ship PPE's to parts of the world that normally don't have a lot of shipping commerce so the empty containers are kind of stranded in those ports.  And they can't build new containers fast enough.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

The Port of Houston has thousands of empty containers and running out of room to store them. It probably doesn’t pay to send a boat load of empty containers back to China and Taiwan and we don’t sell them enough to fill many.

All I know with the way the world has been affected in the past year has changed all our lives some. The amazon culture of next day delivery has us all spoiled. With the delay it will give me more time to see if I can find a good used machine. Sure it sucks for the current project but I will make it all work. 

On 5/18/2021 at 6:49 PM, Chet said:

Seems the biggest problem is a shortage of shipping containers.  I get almost weekly updates from vendors that I buy supplies from.  They are dealing with big delays from their suppliers because the suppliers are waiting for empty containers to show up.  Containers were used to ship PPE's to parts of the world that normally don't have a lot of shipping commerce so the empty containers are kind of stranded in those ports.  And they can't build new containers fast enough.

I got an email from Everlast welders yesterday that stated they are 6 weeks behind due to a back log of container ships in the port of long beach. They had a pic attached that showed so many dots (ships) that I didn't bother to count.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had a used drum sander pop up about 3 hours from home. Found it Friday and went down on Saturday. CBD68627-19F4-45DD-B60B-49683E2D7A9E.thumb.jpeg.adb532368ac485d5e7ee5eddc591ca32.jpeg

24” 2 head about 4 years old. Gave $2100 for it. It came with a couple full rolls of paper as well. The pic of it is after I cleaned it up some. The dust collection fittings I didn’t touch and they seem to be a good example of how dusty the machine was. An older gentleman was the original owner, he decided to retire from doing anymore woodworking. The machine did come on the metal skid and I added the casters to it. Worked out perfectly to screw the wheels to a piece of 2x4 and slide them into the skid. I did drill trough the skid and put a bolt in. 

It was kinda nice, the neighbor guys were waiting for me when I got home to help unload the machine from a trailer. Within an hour we put the wheels on, cleaned the machine, put a longer cord on and changed the plug-in on the wall. 

Before I left I took a few pics of the old delta and put it on Craigslist and had the wife put it on Facebook. Sold it on Saturday for the asking price of $900.

AC53DF2D-CC82-4C1C-83F1-7408023C00B5.thumb.jpeg.a62b5016492702dad845dd60a5ffbd0a.jpeg

Which I thought was an insane asking price! I did see one listed just like it a month or so back at that price and was gone in a day or two. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Coop said:

Damn nice trade! What is the width of the Grizz?

opps, went back and read, 24”. Nice! 

You are spot on, it’s actually 23 1/2. Was a little bit of a trade off vs the shopfox which is 26”. Did save a grand over buying new by time it ships and tax. 

I will more than likely be adding a digital gauge to this as well. Love having them for repeatability. 

• Thanks 1

Thats a nice find Jamie.

I wonder if you new machine was dusty because of being hocked up to a less the proper dust collector.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 12:24 PM, Chet said:

Thats a nice find Jamie.

I wonder if you new machine was dusty because of being hocked up to a less the proper dust collector.

The guy had it on a 2 hp grizzly that actually was directed outside. Not even a collection bin, just shot it out into the air. Was the only machine hooked to that dust collection system.  He actually had about 4 different dust collectors around his shop.