Title of the document

Drum sander

Jamie

So.....with this kitchen project in the making I’m thinking I could have a little catch in this step of the project. 

I currently have a delta 16-32, underpowered little machine that I did take time to dial in and do have it pretty true. It works great for sanding a few pieces at a time but don’t think it will hold up to a set of cabinet doors. Plus it’s just super slow going. 

I can probably get the face frames and doors, drawer fronts all sanded at the cabinet shop I used to work at, 5 miles from home. Thinking from what they have charged me in the past that it would be around $300 for this operation. 

This has me thinking that I could upgrade my sander but not sure what to go to. Don’t want to spend a ton but don’t want a pos either. So have looked around at buying.....grizzly 24” 2 drum is the most reasonable priced option I have seen for new.  Wood master has a nice 37” single head but that is quite a bit more $. Just unsure on what to do.  

6 hours ago, Jamie said:

Does the supermax out preform the grizzly?

By leaps, yes.

5 hours ago, Coop said:

I have the Jet 16/32 and nothing to compare it to, I think it to be under powered. Gotta take baby steps with it. 

They're meant for baby steps.  I know we all use them to remove thickness from time to time but, in the end that's not what they're for.

I would agree that the delta I have is very under powered,  I checked out the supermax 25 x2 and seems like a really good machine.  Like how it has a 5hp motor vs the 3hp on the grizzly.   Now the question comes down to open end vs closed end?  @Kev If I remember right you have the open ended version?

I have the SuperMax 19-38 and I run 120 grit on it all the time.  Couple passes through then I start with my random orbit.  I start that with quick lick of 80 grit because 120 on the drum is about equivalent to 80 on the ROS.  Then I just work through my grits.

I have never wished I had more then the 19-38 it's a great machine.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Jamie said:

I would agree that the delta I have is very under powered,  I checked out the supermax 25 x2 and seems like a really good machine.  Like how it has a 5hp motor vs the 3hp on the grizzly.   Now the question comes down to open end vs closed end?  @Kev If I remember right you have the open ended version?

I have the same machine as @Chet and I prefer the open ended.  It allows for double the width.  That's why it's called the 19/38.  Simply flick the piece around and do the other half.

I have a General International (no longer in production) 2 drum 25" I run 80 on the first drum and 120 on the second. Early on the open end machines were really problematic but in more recent years it appears they have been greatly improved. While I cannot recall a time when I needed to sand something wider than about 20" or so I imagine for a table top it might come in handy.

On 2/16/2021 at 3:54 PM, pkinneb said:

I have a General International (no longer in production) 2 drum 25" I run 80 on the first drum and 120 on the second. Early on the open end machines were really problematic but in more recent years it appears they have been greatly improved. While I cannot recall a time when I needed to sand something wider than about 20" or so I imagine for a table top it might come in handy.

That has to be darn handy, not to have to swap out grits but I can’t visualize how it works. Do the drums roll in and out of place? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

That has to be darn handy, not to have to swap out grits but I can’t visualize how it works. Do the drums roll in and out of place? 

It’s just like an open ended sander except it has a closed end with 2 drums in line. The second drum will usually have a finer grit than the first and is also set a little deeper of a cut. Can start with say 80 and 120, make a pass and it’s like 2 on a single drum. Then switch grits to finer. Speeds up the process 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 7:55 PM, Kev said:

I had the Grizz, it was my first drum sander.  Biggest complaint I had about it was the DC.

If you can swing it, the Supermax is awesome!

Did you have the double head grizzly? Problem I’m running into is there isn’t a drum sander of any brand available for purchase. 

48 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Problem I’m running into is there isn’t a drum sander of any brand available for purchase. 

This isn't just drum sanders.  A lot of power tools are in short supply, actually a lot of everything is back ordered.  I just passed week four waiting for a garage door.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Just now, Chet said:

This isn't just drum sanders.  A lot of power tools are in short supply, actually a lot of everything is back ordered.  I just passed week four waiting for a garage door.

Agreed..  I've had the new band saw on order for nearly 6 months..

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Chet said:

23 hours ago, Kev said:

Agreed..  I've had the new band saw on order for nearly 6 months..

Just think of the money we have all saved. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Coop said:

That’s what sucks. Supposedly possession doesn’t take place until the item leaves the vender. 

It's supposedly been shipped so they hit my account.

Tracking shows it as arriving this week but, I'm not holding my breath!

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Latest update is tomorrow at 6pm..

Actually, I thought it was pretty funny..  The note said 

"Delivery appointment: 04/22/2021, between 6:00 PM and 6:01 PM:

Man the tracking they have on shipping these days is getting pretty accurate! 

• Haha 1