Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Not sure where to post this but wanted to share with you guys that I got hired to build a set of cabinets for a lady in town. My sister did the design work on her remodel project and mentioned that I might be interested in doing the cabinet work. 
 

I have been spending quite a bit of time on figuring out a price for this project and think I settled on one. Let the client know and she was on board with it. Will be cherry for the fronts which I’m excited to work with. Total of 18 cabinets with 3 of them being floor to ceiling. 
 

Just waiting on a down payment from her to get going on it. Will have to order in a shaper cutter or two, also going to pick up a new spray gun for this project as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Congrats. My only advise is make sure to mark out your steps so that you can be as efficient as possible. 

Yes there has been a lot of planning going on in my head, it’s been quite a while since I built a set of cabinets, roughly 13 years. Man time flies! Just a lot of little steps that if you forget one it can coat ya in the end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kev said:

I hate building cabinets....lol

Congrats though on the commission!  We're all here to help if you need it..

Yeah Im not a huge fan of it but dont mind them as much as you guys! I think it will be a fun project (i say that now) just concerned about the room that it is going to take up.  Mentioned to the wife that the boat might be sleeping in her garage, which would mean that she has to park outside.  With the below 0 temps that we have had for the last couple weeks she's not to excited about the idea.  

 

I think my biggest fear is making sure they all fit.  Would hate to have to go back and redo something.  I'll upload the layout of them when I get home tonight.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the layout.  Shouldn’t be to bad as nothing is wall to wall.  Hoping to start on it soon before the weather gets to nice around here.  Not sure on when the remodelers are going to start as well.  I did tell the client that it will probably take me around 2 months to get it put together.  image.thumb.jpg.9a2fdb1171f38491dc5e5d0d129eed39.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jamie said:

 I did tell the client that it will probably take me around 2 months to get it put together.  

I think you'll be surprised at how fast they go together!  There's so many similar parts that you can batch a bunch of them out at a time and then it's just a matter of assembly.  This is also a dual edged sword!  Any mistakes are replicated to each one but, the "fix" is also replicated to each one.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kev said:

I think you'll be surprised at how fast they go together!  There's so many similar parts that you can batch a bunch of them out at a time and then it's just a matter of assembly.  This is also a dual edged sword!  Any mistakes are replicated to each one but, the "fix" is also replicated to each one.

Yeah I have built quite a few sets of kitchen cabinets, just haven’t done a set for quite a while. Actually haven’t built a set since I gave up woodworking as a full time job with the cabinet shop. I like to build them with dados and pocket screws. Thinking about moving my power feeder to my table saw to help in the process.  I am willing to share as much of the build that you guys want to see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Coop said:

Jamie, don’t remember, do you have a Domino? Also, what will the boxes be made of? 

Nope no domino here. It’s on the wish list but so are a lot of other tools 🤔. The face frames will be pocket hole Constructon and the boxes will be 3/4 ply for the sides tops and bottoms. The back will be 3/8 ply along with the drawer bottoms. Was going to use 1/2 but there was quite a difference in price to the 3/8. The drawers will be either beach or soft maple with dovetail joinery. Doors will be 5 piece solid cherry. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 4:16 PM, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Why not use cherry for the drawer fronts?  

Opps forgot to mention that the drawer fronts will be cherry. Will be a overlay front. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Coop said:

Never thought about doing that. Beats the heck out of using 3/4” cherry ply.

It does add to the expense of building but I have always felt that 1/4 ply gets better looking veneer on it than 3/4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamie said:

It does add to the expense of building but I have always felt that 1/4 ply gets better looking veneer on it than 3/4.

I think if I were doing this job, I'd use the 3/4 cherry ply for the ends rather than buying the extra ply..

Maybe price compare the 1/4" ply plus the 3/4" you're using vs a sheet of 3/4" cherry ply?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kev said:

I think if I were doing this job, I'd use the 3/4 cherry ply for the ends rather than buying the extra ply..

Maybe price compare the 1/4" ply plus the 3/4" you're using vs a sheet of 3/4" cherry ply?

Great idea! I did think about that and the customer doesn't want to have cherry on the inside of some cabinets and birch on the others.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Great idea! I did think about that and the customer doesn't want to have cherry on the inside of some cabinets and birch on the others.  

Add the cheaper 1/4 ply to the inside of that cabinet..

Again, cheaper than the other way and you don't have to change the dimensions of your cabinet to account for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kev said:

I think if I were doing this job, I'd use the 3/4 cherry ply for the ends rather than buying the extra ply..

Or maybe Cherry ply for the whole thing.  How big of a price difference would it be in total.  When you start doing things like adding a 1/4" width here but not there and then a 1/4" on this part but not that part, to me thats where a project can go in the hopper real quick when you have a different thickness on parts hear and there.

I would have to seriously think about maybe taking part of the price difference out of my bottom line just to have a little piece of mind each time I pull out the tape measure.

  • Like 3

“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”  John Wooden

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Chet said:

Or maybe Cherry ply for the whole thing.  How big of a price difference would it be in total.  When you start doing things like adding a 1/4" width here but not there and then a 1/4" on this part but not that part, to me thats where a project can go in the hopper real quick when you have a different thickness on parts hear and there.

I would have to seriously think about maybe taking part of the price difference out of my bottom line just to have a little piece of mind each time I pull out the tape measure.

I know exactly what you guys are saying,  it works out really well with the way the case is attached to the face frame.1199004917_IMG951522(002).thumb.jpg.e87f8a736de5193f3b393d812963313f.jpg

The top drawing is the one to focus on,  with the stile being 1 1/2 - 3/4 of the ply leaves 3/4 to play with.  The key measurement and placement of the dado is to have 1/2" to the inside of the cabinet, this allows to use drawer spacers to properly align the drawer slides.  Which will leave a strong 1/4" of the outside of the case which on a finished end will leave the room to contact cement a piece of 1/4 ply or allow some room when installing when going cabinet to cabinet.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...