Title of the document

Setting Jointer Knives

Jamie

Swapped out the knives on my jointer for the first time yesterday.  Got them all set as well as I could using a straight edge registering off the out feed side of the table.  Ridgid has a slick set screw below the bottom of the knife to make adjustments to the height of the knife.  After running a test piece it cut pretty well but sounded rough, feel like one of the knives might be a little higher than the other two.  Question is......with out a dial indicator how do you make sure they are all in the same plane?

My Jointer came with a jig like pictured below to adjust the knives.   It's not a great solution, you have to hold it down with one hand and wrench with the other.  My hands kept getting in the way of each other.

I am going to look for a better option for the next time.  There are some that involve magnets to hold the jig in place and the additional magnets to draw the blade up to the right height against the jig.  Google Jig for adjusting jointer knifes should yield some different options.

Unknown.jpeg.b368dc5e0a9fd037df51f4bf2ce2b4f9.jpeg

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Yes I’ve looked at those small jigs that you mention. I did mess around with it more tonight with the straight edge and got it closer. It cuts well just not like it did from the factory. A friend of mine has a dial indicator that he is going to let me barrow. Will be curious how far off they really are. 

4 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

I have the same jig Chet does, came with my PM.

Yea, I think we have the same jointer.

4 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Although I have not yet had to change the blades on it, but they are getting kinds close to needing to be changed.

Just follow the directions in the manual the process is simple, but it will take some time so don't try to rush it.  To make the jig work you just need to get the in and out feed tables out of the way.  And be aware, when you remove the blades there are small springs under the blades that can come out if you aren't paying attention.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

4 hours ago, Chet said:

And be aware, when you remove the blades there are small springs under the blades that can come out if you aren't paying attention.

I did watch some videos on it, i feel fortunate that i don't have the little springs to contend with.  Just a set screw that half the blade sits on so you can still get at it to adjust the height.