Title of the document

Drum Roll, Maybe

Coop

As of the 21st of this month, I will join the ranks of the unemployed. I gave my notice today. As @Richardatold me, 12121! 

5 years ago my brother and I sold our company, him staying on for 6 months and me for 12 months. 12 led to 24, etc. and finally I’m giving in to retirement after 51 years in the business that our dad started in 1945. Being a workaholic, we’ll see how this works out? 

• Like 2

I have always said that I think everyone should try retirement at least once in their life.  You should have any problem with boredom you have wood working.  If you feel the need to go back to work just add a time clock to your shop and go out there every morning and "punch in".

Congratulations Ken.

• Like 4

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

6 hours ago, Coop said:

As of the 21st of this month, I will join the ranks of the unemployed. I gave my notice today. As @Richardatold me, 12121! 

5 years ago my brother and I sold our company, him staying on for 6 months and me for 12 months. 12 led to 24, etc. and finally I’m giving in to retirement after 51 years in the business that our dad started in 1945. Being a workaholic, we’ll see how this works out? 

I'll believe it when I see it..  I've been hearing this as long as I've known you..

Fingers crossed for you!  Congrats if you pull it off!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Coop said:

Congratulations, @Coop   ? ?!  All the very best to you!

As a student of history, and I've only known your presence here on the forum....I am quite curious what business it was that your family has devoted itself to these many, many years.  Are you at liberty to disclose this information?

I really am a curious individual....especially regarding history.

?,

RXR

• Like 1

Absolutely! My Dad started the company in 1945. We sell and service fire extinguishers and fire protection systems, mainly those that protect restaurants and spray booths. I worked there part time after high school and then full time after my second year of college in 1970. I got my fill of collage after working as a dock hand at night, going to class during the day and being a husband and father in between. The icing on the cake was one morning I went to a history class and the teacher sent me home to put on a pair of socks. I went home and never returned. Anyway, my parents left the company to me and two brothers. We bought out one brother about 10 years ago and my other brother and I sold the company exactly 5 years ago. Brother retired after 6 months and me being a workaholic, stayed on way longer than I anticipated. 

Probably more history than you bargained for? ?

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Coop said:

The icing on the cake was one morning I went to a history class and the teacher sent me home to put on a pair of socks.

Different university,  at mine they barely showed up, and they did not give a rip about clothes.  

This was called a junior college but it was more like a high school with ashtrays in the halls. And keep in mind that in those days, girls and women didn’t wear bras unless they were over 80 yo and then only for their own protection! I’ve often wondered how my life would have changed if I had had a pair of clean socks that day? 

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:18 PM, Coop said:

Absolutely! My Dad started the company in 1945. We sell and service fire extinguishers and fire protection systems, mainly those that protect restaurants and spray booths. I worked there part time after high school and then full time after my second year of college in 1970. I got my fill of collage after working as a dock hand at night, going to class during the day and being a husband and father in between. The icing on the cake was one morning I went to a history class and the teacher sent me home to put on a pair of socks. I went home and never returned. Anyway, my parents left the company to me and two brothers. We bought out one brother about 10 years ago and my other brother and I sold the company exactly 5 years ago. Brother retired after 6 months and me being a workaholic, stayed on way longer than I anticipated. 

Probably more history than you bargained for? ?

Awesome story!  I like it!  An industry, as you now know, I am quite familiar with.  We never installed an exhaust system without it also including a fire extinguisher system after we were done.  I also worked in California's highly regulated food industry for a while where those systems were required by regulations.

This being just one... The Tenderloin. (I wasn't there until after this picture was taken)

1748501085_Tenderloin1965.jpg.f53a2b91643cef5460d87469c0e37346.jpg

It was a highly regarded restaurant (I don't remember the "star" rating - although it did have one).  I remember it being a Prime Rib restaurant.  I remember it that way maybe because I got a free dinner every day before I started my shift as a busboy - I opted for Prime Rib, of course! ? .  My Uncle Chuck got me my job there - he was Maitre'D.  My favorite Uncle (pictured with my favorite Aunt - Aunt Sissy (Mary) from whom I obtained these photographs).  Charles and Mary McGee.  R.I.P. Both.

97459946_SissyandChuck0001.jpg.83babb5245f1084e3939d6882f199ebf.jpg

"Slides" and Black Socks, Uncle Chuck always drove fashion! ?

Socks have always been overrated! ?  IF it weren't for school I never would have worn socks or shoes (California in my growing up years).

"a dock hand"?  At a fresh or saltwater port, or as a 'lumper' on a dry dock, an inland (landlocked) warehouse?

I hope your financial future is secured through your deals and your persistence to continue when you need not!

I like history so much, I could hear more of yours - IF you care to tell it.

I don't know your age but, I will say this without knowing it.  I am conversationally attracted to those older than myself.  I always have been.  They hold the history, the knowledge and the wisdom.  I try to impart on those younger than myself what I have learned from those wisened sources.

High regards (I also don't know your "star" rating but I'm sure you have one! ? ),

RXR

Edited by RxR Sawdust Station
  • Like 2

Since I have only been working 3 days a week, every other week, a friend told me I shouldn’t have trouble finding something to do for the other 6 days a month. 

Nothing planned butI do have a stack of various pieces of nice lumber that I got from @Spankythat needs to be made into something(s). Also need to build another purple Martin house before they return in late February. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah she does but I probably have the most frugal wife of anyone. The builders are building us big ass (by our standards) closets, each twice the size of the one we use to share. My son took a look see yesterday and told his mom that she will have to go clothes shopping everyday for the next two months so it won’t look so bare. Yes sir, logs would be appreciated before she takes him up on her suggestions. 

• Haha 1