Title of the document

Magnet question

Bob

I am making a raised panel door to cover a recently installed blower for our heat pump.  The door is 80"x24" hickory and since it has to be removable for blower service will not have hinges.  Instead I am going to use magnets hold it place.  These are the magnets I planning on ordering.  I am thinking 3 per side will be enough, but thought I would ask, I am a little concerned about the magnets holding the door in place.  

10 minutes ago, Bob said:

I am making a raised panel door to cover a recently installed blower for our heat pump.  The door is 80"x24" hickory and since it has to be removable for blower service will not have hinges.  Instead I am going to use magnets hold it place.  These are the magnets I planning on ordering.  I am thinking 3 per side will be enough, but thought I would ask, I am a little concerned about the magnets holding the door in place.  

Rare earth magnets are strong but, that's asking a lot for a piece that size, especially if there's any twist or something isn't fitting just right.  You could start with 3 per side but, I'd be prepared to add more.  Fortunately, it's fairly easy to come back and add more if you need them.

This is the way that I mounted the covers for the server rack and it worked well.

Could you put a cleat down on the bottom of the down for it to sit on. Similar to French cleat just backwards on the bottom to help hold the weight of the door. The shear weight of a hickory door would be a lot for 6-8 magnets. But if you had it resting on something the magnets would only have to hold it to the blower not the weight of the door. 

14 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Could you put a cleat down on the bottom of the down for it to sit on. Similar to French cleat just backwards on the bottom to help hold the weight of the door. The shear weight of a hickory door would be a lot for 6-8 magnets. But if you had it resting on something the magnets would only have to hold it to the blower not the weight of the door. 

The door itself will sit on the floor.  It is going to be a tight fit as it is, and I don't see any other way to make this work.

28 minutes ago, Bob said:

The door itself will sit on the floor.  It is going to be a tight fit as it is, and I don't see any other way to make this work.

If you have the weight mostly supported by the floor, I think you're in pretty good shape.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

If you have the weight mostly supported by the floor, I think you're in pretty good shape.

It is, but the door will be right next to the washer and drier and a door to the house.  So I am concerned about vibration.  I ordered 12 magnets and will start with 5 per side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

It is, but the door will be right next to the washer and drier and a door to the house.  So I am concerned about vibration.  I ordered 12 magnets and will start with 5 per side.

Should be good unless you get some weird twist in it ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Hello Bob,

How thick is you 80"x24" hickory door?

I'm thinking @Tmize's concept should work if the door is thick enough but isn't too thick.  You could even recess (maybe even route with a dovetail cutter, then cut the bottom side 90 degrees to surface removing the one half of the dovetail) the french cleat below the surface where when the top and bottom cleats are engaged the door sits flush against the surface of the cabinet or wall opening it's covering.

Something like this quick MS Paint sketch.  Repeated on the bottom.

?,

RXR

Recessed Half Dovetail French Cleat 0001 12312020.jpg

Edited by RxR Sawdust Station
inserted missing *is

I should have explained the door better.  The overall height is 80", there will be a total of 4 rails.  The top and bottom rails are standard 2 1/4 inch, there are 2 additional rails that are 4 1/2".  These rails will be placed 16" on center from the top and and bottom.  The issue that I have to deal with is the blower furnace filter is on the top of unit and to access and change the filter the door will have to removed.  To make this process a little easier I am cutting the top 4 1/2" rail in two and making that a separate panel.   I am trying to make 2 doors look like 1.  Anyway if your not confused by now you are better than me.  A french cleat would only work for the smaller upper door and do nothing for the lower.  Here is a picture of the blower the red tab on the upper right is the filter.

DSC_0022.JPG.1a2d1287602b124d21c2e2203926d9cc.JPG

39 minutes ago, Bob said:

I should have explained the door better.  The overall height is 80", there will be a total of 4 rails.  The top and bottom rails are standard 2 1/4 inch, there are 2 additional rails that are 4 1/2".  These rails will be placed 16" on center from the top and and bottom.  The issue that I have to deal with is the blower furnace filter is on the top of unit and to access and change the filter the door will have to removed.  To make this process a little easier I am cutting the top 4 1/2" rail in two and making that a separate panel.   I am trying to make 2 doors look like 1.  Anyway if your not confused by now you are better than me.  A french cleat would only work for the smaller upper door and do nothing for the lower.  Here is a picture of the blower the red tab on the upper right is the filter.

DSC_0022.JPG.1a2d1287602b124d21c2e2203926d9cc.JPG

Are you going to frame that opening in, not talking about the door - just the opening....are you going to frame the opening?

And, how thick is the wood your door is made out of?

You couldn't do this (not to scale. just showing relative positions. can be as narrow as 1/4 inch, hypothetically).

To remove the door, you would only need enough room between the door and your nearest appliance by the thickness of the cleat.

?,

RXR

Recessed Half Dovetail French Cleat 0002 12312020.jpg

I am not going to frame out the opening.  The folks that installed the unit butchered it up badly, and fixing it would be a  pain.  Just going to cover it up.  I know there are a number of ways to skin this cat.  Just going to stick with the magnets.  Sorry first bad pun of 2021,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coop said:

OP, have you considered ventilation? I’m by no means a HVAC guy but just wondering. 

The return air is vented from a wall you can't see in the picture.  But I am still cutting vents into the top and bottom panels of the door.

• Like 1