Title of the document

LAGUNA MBAND14BX220-250 14|BX Bandsaw 220 Volt

Kev

7 minutes ago, Jamie said:

To replace or add to the collection? 

Looks like a quality item. Like the large table size and how heavy it is. Don’t think you could go wrong with it. 

I'll be replacing all my remaining Grizz machines before I retire..  2 bandsaws and a lathe.

I love my current 14" saw and it doesn't need to be replaced.  Just looking at the long term.  I won't have the "disposable" income when I retire to replace machines like this.

For the record, I still have a few years before I can retire.

In my opinion I think it depends on what you want to do with the bigger saw. If this is going to just be dedicated to curves and lighter duty work, I would probably save some $ and get the 1412 or 1 of the Rikon options in the same class. Now this would be a bigger upgrade than you grizzly than the ones I previously mentioned. 

Now for a strange thought. Could you trade the 17” grizzly for the 14” grizzly and then step up the larger saw to something bigger than you are currently thinking about.  

As for the bigger saw, what are you currently investigating?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

In my opinion I think it depends on what you want to do with the bigger saw. If this is going to just be dedicated to curves and lighter duty work, I would probably save some $ and get the 1412 or 1 of the Rikon options in the same class. Now this would be a bigger upgrade than you grizzly than the ones I previously mentioned. 

Now for a strange thought. Could you trade the 17” grizzly for the 14” grizzly and then step up the larger saw to something bigger than you are currently thinking about.  

As for the bigger saw, what are you currently investigating?

All fair..

I don't see any different use for the saw than I'm currently getting.  This one is still just a 14" saw but, has a little more HP.  For the record, the same saw with less HP running 110 is exactly the same price and I have the power available at the location so, just made sense to get a little more power.

The 17" will also be eventually replaced and I'm looking at the Laguna 18" for that.  I'll also take a look at Rikon when that time comes.  Maybe this year?  Will have to see what the work year holds before making that decision.

16 minutes ago, Kev said:

All fair..

I don't see any different use for the saw than I'm currently getting.  This one is still just a 14" saw but, has a little more HP.  For the record, the same saw with less HP running 110 is exactly the same price and I have the power available at the location so, just made sense to get a little more power.

The 17" will also be eventually replaced and I'm looking at the Laguna 18" for that.  I'll also take a look at Rikon when that time comes.  Maybe this year?  Will have to see what the work year holds before making that decision.

I get the more horsepower would be an upgrade, but if you haven’t bogged the current down then paying for extra  hp seems marginal in my opinion. Since it seems HP is only upgrade, why not keep the 17” saw as the “small saw” and then get a 20 or 24” saw. Again it’s your shop and your money, but if it was me I would rather have the $1400 towards a saw like the Minimax 20” or 24” if they make. 

5 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I get the more horsepower would be an upgrade, but if you haven’t bogged the current down then paying for extra  hp seems marginal in my opinion. Since it seems HP is only upgrade, why not keep the 17” saw as the “small saw” and then get a 20 or 24” saw. Again it’s your shop and your money, but if it was me I would rather have the $1400 towards a saw like the Minimax 20” or 24” if they make. 

When it's time to replace the big saw, money won't really be the issue.  That's just not the one on my list yet.  Probably another year or so before I replace the big one.  I really don't want the 17" as the "smaller" saw.  The footprint is too big for the location I want it in although, I'll also say that the Laguna's footprint is a bit larger than the current 14" Grizz too..

For now, I'm only replacing the small saw.  The Laguna saw with more HP(2.5) is exactly the same price as the saw with less HP (1.75).  My hope is that this is the last time I replace this particular piece of equipment.  The same thought will be in place when I replace the 17" and the lathe.

1 minute ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Gotcha. Buy it now so you can write it off for the end of the year. 

That would be so nice!  But, with the change in the tax laws, I don't get to write off much of anything anymore.

The real saving grace for me is that I don't have sales tax.

Pulled the trigger!

Should be here in February around the time I get back home..

Current 14" is sold and should be picked up in the spring when the roads get a little better.  The current Grizz won't be gone until the new one is in.  

I will shed a little tear when the Grizz goes!  Kind of like that old 6" PM jointer, it's just been a fantastic machine and done everything I've asked it to do.

• Like 5

I have a Laguna 1412 and 16HD both have been awesome machines with zero issues. I'm sure you will love it. 

I have actually been looking around my shop thinking the same thing I have 3 to 5 years left to work. I have wanted a Felder J/P since I saw Mel's  941 in person a few years back. I will probably go with the AD741 if I decide to pull the trigger. This year I just want a few small items and to finish up some things in my shop, like the trim I have been tripping over for 3 flippin years LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Wow!  Guess you just needed that final little push.  I’m really impressed with how fast you sold the old saw.  Good luck with the new one. 

I had the old equipment sold before I actually made my decision.

Those of you that know me know I'm a huge fan of paying it forward.  The gear that will be replaced in the next year or 2 already have a home to a good woodworker that is currently where I was at when I bought these machines.  

• Like 4

Just now, Bushwacked said:

Since you already bought the laguna ... that was the laguna I am seriously considering as well in the handful I am looking at. I like the full solid piece and not 2 pieces.

Did you happen to look into the Harvey version at all?

I really think that Laguna has the market on the 14" bandsaw.  When it's time to replace the 17" machine, you can bet that Harvey will be on the consideration list!  As will Rikon.

• Like 2

To me the major upgrade to this machine over the 14/12 or the current grizzly is the foot brake. I know some don’t see this as a big deal but I know in the year I’ve had mine 14/12 I’ve wished I could stop it quickly to make a fence adjustment real quick. Yes more power is always great to. Just a side not you can change the tap up on most motors now to convert them to 240v from 120v. I know my rigid ts an Laguna bandsaw you can. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tmize said:

To me the major upgrade to this machine over the 14/12 or the current grizzly is the foot brake. I know some don’t see this as a big deal but I know in the year I’ve had mine 14/12 I’ve wished I could stop it quickly to make a fence adjustment real quick. Yes more power is always great to. Just a side not you can change the tap up on most motors now to convert them to 240v from 120v. I know my rigid ts an Laguna bandsaw you can. 

To be completely honest, the brake was the one item I cared least about.  Maybe it's because I've never had one but, I just don't see their usefulness other than saving a couple seconds here or there to make some correction.  If it's a digit in the blade, stepping on that brake will be a second thought after hitting the power switch.  I just don't see this as a great feature.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kev said:

I had the old equipment sold before I actually made my decision.

Those of you that know me know I'm a huge fan of paying it forward.  The gear that will be replaced in the next year or 2 already have a home to a good woodworker that is currently where I was at when I bought these machines.  

They will be a great addition to the shop as was that very nice Powermatic 6" Jointer I try and keep it busy

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tmize said:

That would be a major thing for me as well. I have one on my 16HD and use it all the time.

Kev once you get used to having it you will love it.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, pkinneb said:

That would be a major thing for me as well. I have one on my 16HD and use it all the time.

Kev once you get used to having it you will love it.

Out of embarrassment, I can see where a foot brake would come in handy as a couple of times, as quiet as my saw is, I have left it running until I turn off the dc and hear it. Now, on the down side, do you have to have your foot on the pedal to keep it running? 

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

Out of embarrassment, I can see where a foot brake would come in handy as a couple of times, as quiet as my saw is, I have left it running until I turn off the dc and hear it. Now, on the down side, do you have to have your foot on the pedal to keep it running? 

No..  The brake works after you turn the saw off to stop the wheels a bit quicker..  Think of them like brakes on a car.