Title of the document

Slanted Wall

Coop

I wasn’t real sure where to put this and didn’t want to interrupt the Annual Showoff in GD. Part of our bathroom addition will have a 8’11” tray ceiling. Originally the wall dividing a vanity and the toilet would extend out 4’. The wall with the circle. This would mean that it would extend out 12” into the tray ceiling and look awkward. My wife wanted the 4’ wall so as not to see the potty? 

62550872-2E32-4EED-8254-2F8B3B3846BC.thumb.jpeg.e89078702369e7c5ad6a376920f20484.jpeg

I came up with the idea of a slanted wall that extends out the 4’ but tapers back 12” at the 8’ height where the tray ceiling begins. I took a pic but as there are only studs now, it’s hard to tell so I sketched a drawing of the section view 327C9093-C37F-48FE-B9C7-417A6E5B92A6.thumb.jpeg.5b8dc4b124a248e75df89f6a3954551a.jpegand it may be as confusing. My contractor said he had never seen such but kind of liked the idea. I’m paying his salary so he kinda kisses up anyway. What do you guys think. Right now it’s only 3 ea. 2x’s and can be easily removed. My wife doesn’t care as she just wants the job finished.

I'm going to toss in with Bryan on this one..  A shorter wall with a shelf on it offers some storage and solves your problem.

Now, if the boss doesn't like that idea, I kind of like your direction..  Although I would consider coming straight up off of the floor for a bit before starting the slant.  This will make the trim out much easier!

• Like 1

I really appreciate y’all’s honesty and quick response. Bryan, I mentioned a shorter wall and she said it would remind her of a bathroom stall at HD but I like the idea of the frosted glass. Kev, I like the shelf idea as well. I did tack an old white sheet to the frame to simulate Sheetrock and it should taper and trim pretty good to the 8’ height. Jamie, I thought the same thing. The contractor will be out tomorrow afternoon

• Like 1

In your plans it looks like there was always going to be some sort of divider between the vanity and toilet.  But if I can just throw some food for thought out.  None of us wants to get old but we do and sometimes along with getting old medical vehicles start creeping into our lives.  Walkers' wheel chairs, motorized chairs and they all add inconveniences and take up space.

My bathroom isn't as big as you're going to have Coop but the short time I had to deal with me and a walker together in the bathroom when I broke my ankle made me realize how many things are around to bump into.  So I wouldn't have any walls that didn't need to be there and if they are necessary I wouldn't want them sticking out anymore then they had to be.  

• Like 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

39 minutes ago, Chet said:

In your plans it looks like there was always going to be some sort of divider between the vanity and toilet.  But if I can just throw some food for thought out.  None of us wants to get old but we do and sometimes along with getting old medical vehicles start creeping into our lives.  Walkers' wheel chairs, motorized chairs and they all add inconveniences and take up space.

My bathroom isn't as big as you're going to have Coop but the short time I had to deal with me and a walker together in the bathroom when I broke my ankle made me realize how many things are around to bump into.  So I wouldn't have any walls that didn't need to be there and if they are necessary I wouldn't want them sticking out anymore then they had to be.  

Chet that’s a really good thought about future proofing if assistance is needed. 

5 hours ago, Chet said:

Damn good point! This build should have been done years ago and if I knew then that we would still be in this house now, I would have. With the space given up by the old bathroom and closet to our bedroom, it’s going to almost make it feel like a master bedroom?

And now that we are doing it, everything will be wheelchair accessible, including putting in a new 36” into the bedroom. The space occupied by the toilet is 36” wide and the shower will be 4’x7’ with no door or ledge. The only thing not having a 36” opening will be the closet pocket doors. There is a good 4’ area in front of the toilet wall that will allow ample access. Another reason for wanting to add the extension to the wall is to add a pull up bar or rail that will be out front of the “sitter”! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 9:33 PM, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Coop, why not just build a knee wall. Your slanted wall seems overly complicated for basically blocking the view while sitting on the can. If a 4’ High knee wall isn’t enough you could add another 12-18” of frosted glass. 

I tried different configurations with scrap lumber and a sheet tacked on as sheetrock and Bryan, she liked your idea best. She said she thought I meant a wall about 6’ tall as in HD. I put a 3/4” ply recessed backer board in the knee wall for a future grab bar. The sheetrock guys were in last week to rock and tape and float and texture. Painters were here today to prime the walls and ceiling. Can’t wait for the first shower party?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Coop said:

Can’t wait for the first shower party?

Pictures or it didn't happen. ?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus