Title of the document

John Peters wood rack

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

I am thinking this is the right place for this one ... Feel free to move it Kev. 

I found this one after looking around after thinking of grabbing the Bora wood rack. This method looks like it could save quite a bit of money since I would just need a sheet of plywood. Plus not a crazy amount of overbuilding either which it seems several have done. I am thinking I could use left over hard maple I have for the arms. 

I would assume the load rating is at least the same as the Bora wood rack if not better??

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Follow up posts

1) There's lots of ways to build them yourself. My last 2 shops had ones that I build with some 2x4s and some small chunks of ply for support.

There's nothing wrong with building them yourself. However, to say it's going to "save quite a bit of money" I don't think is quite right. Actual dollars put out may be a little less depending on your materials but, your time is going to be significantly more. This is actually why I went with a purchased version in the new shop. Additionally, I didn't have the wall space in the last shop so, my racks had to be very custom as well.

2) 

Hmmmmmm ya true time vs just buying would be cheaper I would agree with that. I'm slow haha. 

Does adding ply to the poles as a base to lay wood on give make things stronger and allow for more weight? 

3) I don't think you're slow..  There's another side to this as well..  What if those racks are something you "want" to build?  In that case, then you're not wasting your time as it's something you want to do.  My point is more that if you're doing something you don't want to do and don't account for your time then, you're not really saving money.

This would actually probably be a good project for me to do in the shop and video it.  Where I don't really want or need the racks, I would get some benefit out of the video.

4) That would be a fun video to get your take on a wood rack.

5) I tend to make them really simple just using some 2x4s and a little ply to stiffen the joints..  I could probably dig us some old pictures if you really want to see them or even just draw it out in Sketchup for you to see?

6) If be happy with whatever if you are bored enough to do that haha

7) I've build many of them much like this.  Just 2x4 material with some small ply glued and screwed in.  You can build this as long or short as you need and you attach them to the studs.
WoodRack.jpg

8)So you brace yours horizontally instead of vertically? Does that let you hold more weight?

9) Probably not but, I've never had an issue with them.  

You could really build them pretty much the same way vertically as well.  Just the plywood supports wouldn't wrap under.  My main rack in the Washington shop was that way and held up well.

10) you could also use black or galvanized pipe. Drill at a slight angle.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus