Title of the document

Bandsaw circle jig. no holes

Chet

Submitted on the old Forum by bushwacked.

Saw this and it seems like a great solution to cut circles without using a nail and making holes. Just thought I’d share...

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Follow up posts

1) That is actually a real nice design. I haven't had a call for cutting circles but I would definitely build this jig if I need to in the future.

2) That is actually a real nice design. I haven't had a call for cutting circles but I would definitely build this jig if I need to in the future.

3) I just watched and is an interesting concept. I would try to find a way to not have to use double sided tape. I don't know how to accomplish at this time.

4) Regardless, there would be some work..  CA glue would work too.  

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Kenlip said:

If you left more on the left of jig, would the weight not help to make it more stable when cutting larger circles  - help with the rocking problem you mentioned?

The video was posted by a member but the person that made the video is not on this forum.  To answer your question, more top to the lefty would help also some type of leg support on the underside of the right side.  He built the jig in 2018 so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he has made some changes to it.

And welcome to the forums Kenlip.

Thanks for the feedback, and for the welcome greeting.  

As I think about this more, a larger top might allow one to clamp the jig to the saw table, and not rely purely on the weight.

Or,  one could make a larger lip, like Kevin did for his jigs, and clamp it to the front of the table.

• Like 1

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of his design mostly because of the instability but, there are ways to solve that issue.  Unfortunately, some of those "ways" also create storage issues when the jig isn't in use.  Even with mine as relatively small as it is, I still don't have a good storage solution for it.  It's on the bucket list...lol

Another item I'll disagree with him on is a need to put a hole in your actual work piece.  Yes, my version requires a pivot hole but, a simple piece of scrap under the "keeper" piece solves that issue.

In the end, people have to take what all these YouTubers put out there (myself included) and make it their own.  What works in my shop might not be best for someone else's shop.  Take my plans and expand on them, make them your own.  Drop in here with the ideas for discussion and feedback to make a better widget!  That's what a place like this is all about!  Helping each other be a little better at what we do!

Welcome to the forums Kenlip!

• Like 1