Title of the document

Basic Hall Table

Bushwacked

This is going to be a pretty basic build, wife wanted a hall table "statement" piece next to the front door. I figured the amazing quartersawn sapele look with be a statement enough ? ... around 35x45x15ish. Going to be connected with 45* cuts, I guess that is called waterfall? All the part cuts were made to keep the grain flowing correctly for all boards. 

I picked up 3 13' quartersawn sapele 8/4 boards .. nice and heavy haha.  Dont mind the 12/4 oak also hanging out on the assembly table, that is the moxon vise build going on there.

1591187168_PhotoDec08105618AM.thumb.jpg.1a5aa97226e2fd1b81179fb4d786221f.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coop said:

This will be fun to watch! 

hoping it should go quick'ish ? 

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Too many projects at the same time for me...  I'll enjoy watching you do it though!

I only have 2 now at the moment, moxon and this. Minus the other 10 or so on the waiting list ?

Needed something to do while I rough milled the sapele and let it sit the rest of the day. Didnt want to waste a 73* day out in the shop, so started the moxon build as well. Then when I am waiting on the sapele to dry from the glueups tomorrow I will work some more on the moxon. 

• Like 1

I will enjoy watching this come together.

I write to many notes and dimensions on my work pieces trying to keep them straight, to do that on two projects at the same time would make my head explode.  Any time someone mentions two projects at once, I feel like a hand screw is being tightened on my head. ?

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

15 hours ago, Chet said:

I will enjoy watching this come together.

I write to many notes and dimensions on my work pieces trying to keep them straight, to do that on two projects at the same time would make my head explode.  Any time someone mentions two projects at once, I feel like a hand screw is being tightened on my head. ?

haha! I got everything glued up yesterday, let it dry overnight ... today will be a big day, hopefully if I dont screw up the miters ?

When it needs to be 45* ... might as well be doubly sure .. (not sure why pic loaded upside down lol)

1044139422_PhotoDec10100339AM.thumb.jpg.d2325e787a2bab49c602dc4cb8b5337b.jpg

test cut ... seems to be solid.

1746266752_PhotoDec10101133AM.thumb.jpg.1bc5c6f08f178e6130bb4a085f543207.jpg

the amount of checking and rechecking ... it took some time haha

324764921_PhotoDec10101801AM.thumb.jpg.7f31d00fe095d427837e8e2377f42be6.jpg

miters cut ... next was going to cut a smaller bevel on the inside bottom parts to just give it some relief and not look like a big box. Not a lot, but like 1/2" or so ... thoughts?

274003240_PhotoDec10110945AM.thumb.jpg.8b939e56ddc5cc420a909824018265c8.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

When it needs to be 45* ... might as well be doubly sure .. (not sure why pic loaded upside down lol)

1044139422_PhotoDec10100339AM.thumb.jpg.d2325e787a2bab49c602dc4cb8b5337b.jpg

test cut ... seems to be solid.

1746266752_PhotoDec10101133AM.thumb.jpg.1bc5c6f08f178e6130bb4a085f543207.jpg

the amount of checking and rechecking ... it took some time haha

324764921_PhotoDec10101801AM.thumb.jpg.7f31d00fe095d427837e8e2377f42be6.jpg

miters cut ... next was going to cut a smaller bevel on the inside bottom parts to just give it some relief and not look like a big box. Not a lot, but like 1/2" or so ... thoughts?

274003240_PhotoDec10110945AM.thumb.jpg.8b939e56ddc5cc420a909824018265c8.jpg

I would go ahead and assemble and not cut a relief.  It may end up creating the appearance of a gap.  Plus I doubt people are going to crawl on the floor to look at the underside of the table.  The design "waterfall" is going to look a bit boxy but that is the design you and the wife want so build to the look you want.

Are you talking about a bevel on the underside of the top and matching leg surface?  I see a caulk line on you top in the photo is this where you are thinking of a bevel?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Looking great!  Glad you got some use on the videos!

As for the picture, this happens to me every once in a while..  I don't know why but, when it does, I open the picture in the normal viewer, rotate it opposite of what it was in the upload, then rotate it back normal and resave it with the same file name.  Then, when I upload it again it seems to work fine.

Don't ask my why that fix works either!  Makes as much sense as the original problem.. ?

• Like 1

thanks guys! I was super happy with how the miters came out! I was worried most the day while working with them. Also what is the deal with having a great sharp miter edge, and then hitting it on everything so its not crisp haha. Such a pain, it was like a magnet for everything in the garage to hit them. Letting this one glue up overnight and then I will do the other leg in the morning. If all goes well, after lunch I can work on finish sanding and then saturday I could finish it.

I was reading the can ... does anyone really wait, i think it was 2-3 days, after applying ARS to apply the high endurance top coat .. or any other water based top coat? I have not in the past and have not had any issues. I normally let it dry for about 12-24 hours though it seems as I put it on at night and let it settle in over night and early in the morning. 

4 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

thanks guys! I was super happy with how the miters came out! I was worried most the day while working with them. Also what is the deal with having a great sharp miter edge, and then hitting it on everything so its not crisp haha. Such a pain, it was like a magnet for everything in the garage to hit them. Letting this one glue up overnight and then I will do the other leg in the morning. If all goes well, after lunch I can work on finish sanding and then saturday I could finish it.

I was reading the can ... does anyone really wait, i think it was 2-3 days, after applying ARS to apply the high endurance top coat .. or any other water based top coat? I have not in the past and have not had any issues. I normally let it dry for about 12-24 hours though it seems as I put it on at night and let it settle in over night and early in the morning. 

I've gone as soon as 3 or 4 hours without issue..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

was reading the can ... does anyone really wait, i think it was 2-3 days, after applying ARS to apply the high endurance top coat .. or any other water based top coat? I have not in the past and have not had any issues. I normally let it dry for about 12-24 hours though it seems as I put it on at night and let it settle in over night and early in the morning. 

13 hours ago, Kev said:

I've gone as soon as 3 or 4 hours without issue..

I think the biggest issue is being aware of your humidity.  When it is humid the oil in the ARS drys slower and if the oil isn't dry it will cause an orange peel in you top coat.

When you get ready to sand your ARS start in a inconspicuous spot.  If you get a nice light colored sanding dust you are good to go.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Chet said:

I think the biggest issue is being aware of your humidity.  When it is humid the oil in the ARS drys slower and if the oil isn't dry it will cause an orange peel in you top coat.

When you get ready to sand your ARS start in a inconspicuous spot.  If you get a nice light colored sanding dust you are good to go.

Spot on advice!  If you don't have an inconspicuous location on the piece, just use a sample board. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kev said:

If you're going to follow this up with another finish, I wouldn't bother with more than one coat.  There's really not benefit to it.

Looking awesome!

oh really? Yes, I was going to spray some high endurance on there for a top coat ... Why only 1 coat? Is it just the wood type or what?

The first coat is the only one that pops the grain, any other coats just build your film finish, which you don't need if you are going to spray High Performance.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

oh really? Yes, I was going to spray some high endurance on there for a top coat ... Why only 1 coat? Is it just the wood type or what?

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

The first coat is the only one that pops the grain, any other coats just build your film finish, which you don't need if you are going to spray High Performance.

Although @Chet and I use a slightly different method, he's spot on for only needing one coat!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

well that is really good to know! I should be able to spray tomorrow I think and be done with this project.

So is it always, just 1 coat of ARS then spray on top coat for indoor furniture?  

Yep..  The oil based wipe on (ARS) pops the grain (Chet uses chellac) - Additional coats only start building a film which is what you're going to do with the WB poly. 

• Like 1