Jump to content

Wynn Filter ... finally


Recommended Posts

I ordered this thing a long time ago and no idea why I’m just getting around to installing it. Yesterday I had to keep the door shut because it was cold outside so I fired up the DC and it just felt like I was chewing dust ... my jet has the cheap 5 micron dust bag on top and as you can imagine doesn’t really do crap! 
 

Took off the bag ...

B79E8266-72F5-4E8C-9696-9B51E3678410.thumb.jpeg.abce08a276eded49e32bb3598f558830.jpeg

 

measured for size .. no string around so electrical tape had to do 

B079C07F-0664-40FF-A0FF-73C79C0CF2B1.thumb.jpeg.73ce79f16b513c47e8e63428a72964e8.jpeg

 

installed.. I need to put silicone around it but I have to go to HD to get some so it will be a few hours  but my donut is ready. 

AFDAA53C-6664-4731-86DA-6F7F7D875919.thumb.jpeg.266cd4fb147e2ec525619fc213bfc4e7.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is essentially the same setup only using the HB unit. Occasionally I will go around the filter and tap on it vigorously to remove some dust. About three times a year, I will take the filter and put it inside a large plastic garbage bag, insert my arm and hand inside it and flick the pleats. Is your id on the ply the same as the id of the filter? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Coop said:

Mine is essentially the same setup only using the HB unit. Occasionally I will go around the filter and tap on it vigorously to remove some dust. About three times a year, I will take the filter and put it inside a large plastic garbage bag, insert my arm and hand inside it and flick the pleats. Is your id on the ply the same as the id of the filter? 

it is pretty close to the same ID. The ply ID may be a tad smaller than the filter ID ... like 1/4" ish

Link to post
Share on other sites

hah! well it might be a tad more than 1/4 in some places, but I dont think its too much more ... is that bad or will just some dust settle up there?

Pretty much, as soon as the bag popped full, S**** went everywhere! Really hoping my work today solved it and I didnt screw up the install haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post! I have been looking really hard had these filters and actually had one show up today from grizzly. Went with theirs over the Wynn because of the paddle inside connected to a handle. Tried hooking it up tonight and it’s way to small for my dc. Was thinking on sending it back and getting a different one but after seeing your donut idea I may give that a try! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jamie said:

Went with theirs over the Wynn because of the paddle inside connected to a handle.

Having the paddles is a real plus.  I crank the paddles for around 20 - 30 seconds about ever 4 or 5 times I run the DC and especially after using the drum sander for any length of time.  Every time I crank the paddles it surprises me how much dust falls down into the bag.

  • Like 3

“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”  John Wooden

Link to post
Share on other sites

fired up the DC yesterday, too busy all weekend and monday to get out there. I did not feel I was chewing the dust anymore!! Although I could smell the Sapele while I was jointing next to the DC, not sure if that was from a leak in the DC or from the jointer? Either way ... 100X better than it was for sure! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

not sure if that was from a leak in the DC or from the jointer?

When I have worked with sapele I can smell it all the time.  I don't think it has anything to do with how you DC is working.  I have gotten a wiff of the sapele just running the hand plane over it.  If you really want to clear the sinuses do some sanding on a slab of camphor. 

  • Like 1

“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”  John Wooden

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chet said:

When I have worked with sapele I can smell it all the time.  I don't think it has anything to do with how you DC is working.  I have gotten a wiff of the sapele just running the hand plane over it.  If you really want to clear the sinuses do some sanding on a slab of camphor. 

good to know its just a fragrant wood ?  ... haha I bet camphor does clean up the sinuses! Never actually seen any anywhere to buy before though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

good to know its just a fragrant wood ?  ... haha I bet camphor does clean up the sinuses! Never actually seen any anywhere to buy before though.

Camphor is where Vic's Vapor Rub comes from..  @Chet and I did a coffee table together out of it and he's 100% correct!  Clear sinuses for the entire job!  Beautiful wood thought!

1057534853_CoffeeTable.thumb.jpg.a4f8b142f0bdaa3973536f05d86818c7.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kev said:

Camphor is where Vic's Vapor Rub comes from..  @Chet and I did a coffee table together out of it and he's 100% correct!  Clear sinuses for the entire job!  Beautiful wood thought!

1057534853_CoffeeTable.thumb.jpg.a4f8b142f0bdaa3973536f05d86818c7.jpg

ooooh that is camphor? I remember that project ? Yes, beautiful indeed ... is it not widely available? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bushwacked said:

ooooh that is camphor? I remember that project ? Yes, beautiful indeed ... is it not widely available? 

I don't honestly know..  We found that slab at one of Chet's local HW dealers and neither of us had worked with it before..  The colors were stunning!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Camphor is a common tree here in California.  I don't know if Kev remembers but right before his job out here we had just planted a Camphor tree in our back yard.  They are an evergreen so they don't drop their leaves and they are slow growing so I will have to wait about 100 years before I can make a table out of this one.

  • Like 1

“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”  John Wooden

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...