Title of the document

Nova 18" Orion DVR lathe

Bob

My Nova DVR lathe quit yesterday and by everything I have diagnosed so far it appears to be the main control board.  Of course the lathe is out of production and mine is 14yrs old.  I sent an email to the company and have not heard back, but I am not hopeful and would no be surprised if I was told there were no parts available.  So 2 questions.

Does anyone have any experience with this lathe? Grizzly has it on sale, and the sale ends tomorrow.  It won't be available till January.

If I order the lathe and do, somehow, find parts I would cancel the new lathe.  Has anyone had problems canceling an order through Grizzly? 

35 minutes ago, Kev said:

I've never cancelled an order with Grizzly but, their customer service is great!  I wouldn't think you'd have an issue with the delivery being out so far.

Yea, all my dealings with them have been really good.  Probably not important now, I ordered the lathe I doubt I will cancel.

• Like 1

Back a few years Grizzly was having a supply chain problem with most of their jointer models.  There were a number of members on another forum that had ordered them and then canceled when they found something else.  I don't recall any of them complaining about the cancellation process with Grizzly.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

• 8 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 6:16 PM, Bob said:

Yea, all my dealings with them have been really good.  Probably not important now, I ordered the lathe I doubt I will cancel.

Really late getting back to this thread..  Apologies!  Did you get the new lathe?

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Really late getting back to this thread..  Apologies!  Did you get the new lathe?

Well, no.  It was back ordered, then delayed, and then delayed some more.  In the mean time I sent the main board to Nova in hopes that they could repair it.  Spent a number of hours with their tech service and they finally said, sorry the board is completely fried and we don't have a replacement.  Then about 2 months later I got a call from the tech that I had been working with, he found a main board sitting on a shelf gathering dust.  They sent it to me and I have my old lathe back up and running.   After 6 months the new lathe was still back ordered, so I cancelled and will run my lathe until it dies.  The replacement board was $350.00, new lathe was $3k, so it worked out.  Still I would have liked a new toy....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

Well, no.  It was back ordered, then delayed, and then delayed some more.  In the mean time I sent the main board to Nova in hopes that they could repair it.  Spent a number of hours with their tech service and they finally said, sorry the board is completely fried and we don't have a replacement.  Then about 2 months later I got a call from the tech that I had been working with, he found a main board sitting on a shelf gathering dust.  They sent it to me and I have my old lathe back up and running.   After 6 months the new lathe was still back ordered, so I cancelled and will run my lathe until it dies.  The replacement board was $350.00, new lathe was $3k, so it worked out.  Still I would have liked a new toy....

Awesome!  Sometimes the old shoes are more comfortable than the new ones anyway!

A lathe will be in my future in the next year or 2..

• Like 1