Title of the document

Finish Sanding Sponges?

Bushwacked

I brought this up awhile back on the old forums, but it did not make the cut over here ? 

I am curious what you all are using in between finish coats. I am not sure what are good sponges to use that all my cans recommend. I normally have just been hand sanding with 320 to 400 grit paper between coats, which I am assuming there is a better way ... wanted to get yalls thoughts on it. 

3 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I brought this up awhile back on the old forums, but it did not make the cut over here ? 

I am curious what you all are using in between finish coats. I am not sure what are good sponges to use that all my cans recommend. I normally have just been hand sanding with 320 to 400 grit paper between coats, which I am assuming there is a better way ... wanted to get yalls thoughts on it. 

Not sure how we missed the post, I think that's my fault..

I don't use sponges for sanding between coats.  I use a solid block wrapped with 400 grit sandpaper.  There's a few reasons I do it this way.

• I want the flat surfaces to stay flat and they can take a little more aggression if needed on the sanding
  • I want to do the "curved" surfaces by hand because they require a lighter touch.  Those corners usually end up with less finish than the flat surfaces. 

I guess depending on the project. Currently building and finishing a door and between coats, I have used 400 grit. After two coats of ARS and 4 coats of wb Polly, the final sanding was done with a crumpled up piece of brown paper bag. Rubbing your finger across, you can’t tell where stile meets rail. 

• Like 1

I go with 280 grit 3m sandpaper. I have a hand pad that I stick it to, just makes it easier to hold on to. I will use a piece till it’s pretty worn out then use that piece off the pad folded in half to do more detail work. For me using more open grain woods like oak it works pretty well.