Title of the document

Benjamin Moore Cabinet Coat Paint

Chet

I have been working on a renovation project in our kitchen (final pictures on that to follow).  The cabinets in the kitchen were in great shape but needed a face lift.  I didn't want to do a lot of stripping, sanding and scraping so we chose to go the color route.  I did a lot of research in to paint products that that I could spray with my Fuji unit.  The product I ended up using is made by Benjamin Moore.  I used one of their primers that goes with the paint I chose.  The Primer is called INSL-X STIX and the paint is INSL-X CABINET COAT.  I stumbled across this on YouTube were a guy was doing a review not of the paint but a spray gun.  But he talked about it just enough to peak my interest.

It is formulated specifically for refinishing cabinets although half of my project was new wood.  I probably didn't need to use the primer on my existing cabinets but I did because I wanted to make sure the paint looked the same on both the new and existing wood.   I originally planned on spraying all the new doors and brushing the existing cabinets.  I didn't want to have to empty the kitchen and put up barriers to spray in the house.  The guys in the store recommended using a really short nap velour roller not a bush.  The cabinets came out really nice this way so I opted to do the doors the same way and I think this worked out in my favor because I was able to do more doors at a time instead of spreading them out more to be able to spray them.  I got it done in two batches instead of three maybe four this made the whole process faster because you go a minimum of 6 hours between coats.  They really stressed this in the store because it drys to the touch in just 30 minutes but they said go the whole 6 hours. 

It is recommended to do two light coats as opposed to one heavy coat and it does make a difference as the first coat had a flat appearance to it and when I did the second coat I ended up with the nice satin look that I wanted.  

In the paint world the product is a little pricey at $60 a gallon for the primer and $65 for the cabinet coat.  But the way it lays down, in my mind it was money well worth it. 

IMG_0055.thumb.jpg.8e99b44c6f3e43f29dc53e77881337fe.jpg

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

24 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Good paint and primer is always going to be more expensive and usually is well worth it. 

Agreed!  When it comes to this stuff, you get what you pay for!

@Chet, looking forward to seeing the pictures!  It's been a few years since I was there but, I can still remember what it looked like before. 

14 hours ago, Coop said:

Too little too late but you can register with BM as a contractor and the price goes WAY down per gallon. All you need is a tax id number of any sort. I swear by their paint. 

going to need to get a tax ID number then somehow ? Then I can claim a company vehicle too when I purchase a new one

On 11/23/2020 at 6:13 PM, Chet said:

I have been working on a renovation project in our kitchen (final pictures on that to follow).  The cabinets in the kitchen were in great shape but needed a face lift.  I didn't want to do a lot of stripping, sanding and scraping so we chose to go the color route.  I did a lot of research in to paint products that that I could spray with my Fuji unit.  The product I ended up using is made by Benjamin Moore.  I used one of their primers that goes with the paint I chose.  The Primer is called INSL-X STIX and the paint is INSL-X CABINET COAT.  I stumbled across this on YouTube were a guy was doing a review not of the paint but a spray gun.  But he talked about it just enough to peak my interest.

It is formulated specifically for refinishing cabinets although half of my project was new wood.  I probably didn't need to use the primer on my existing cabinets but I did because I wanted to make sure the paint looked the same on both the new and existing wood.   I originally planned on spraying all the new doors and brushing the existing cabinets.  I didn't want to have to empty the kitchen and put up barriers to spray in the house.  The guys in the store recommended using a really short nap velour roller not a bush.  The cabinets came out really nice this way so I opted to do the doors the same way and I think this worked out in my favor because I was able to do more doors at a time instead of spreading them out more to be able to spray them.  I got it done in two batches instead of three maybe four this made the whole process faster because you go a minimum of 6 hours between coats.  They really stressed this in the store because it drys to the touch in just 30 minutes but they said go the whole 6 hours. 

It is recommended to do two light coats as opposed to one heavy coat and it does make a difference as the first coat had a flat appearance to it and when I did the second coat I ended up with the nice satin look that I wanted.  

In the paint world the product is a little pricey at $60 a gallon for the primer and $65 for the cabinet coat.  But the way it lays down, in my mind it was money well worth it. 

IMG_0055.thumb.jpg.8e99b44c6f3e43f29dc53e77881337fe.jpg

Excellent information, Chet!

Thank you for that!'

Getting over to your remodel thread soon!

?,

RR

Edited by RxR Sawdust Station