Title of the document

Heating Shop In The Winter ??

Bushwacked

I think this is the right spot for this? If not feel free to move to correct spot ...

I am looking to get some heat in the shop (my garage) for the winter. A Mini split or something like that is not an option, so I am going to have to go the propane heater route ... Has anyone had any experience with them or know of a quality one that will work? I looked at Home Depot the other day and Tractor Supply and they had several models, but I just dont know which one is safe/good quality ...

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I think this is the right spot for this? If not feel free to move to correct spot ...

I am looking to get some heat in the shop (my garage) for the winter. A Mini split or something like that is not an option, so I am going to have to go the propane heater route ... Has anyone had any experience with them or know of a quality one that will work? I looked at Home Depot the other day and Tractor Supply and they had several models, but I just dont know which one is safe/good quality ...

Thoughts?

I'll just drop my 2 worth with some different options as I'm not a fan of propane.  Propane adds a lot of moisture to the air.

I have the mini split in the current shop.  They are expensive so, completely understand this not being an option.  However, they work awesome!

My previous 2 shops had a pellet stove in them.  I absolutely loved this option!  They don't require much space, the only hot surface is the glass on the front, and you can do the piping yourself in less than an hour.  You can also hook them to a thermostat so they turn themselves on and off based on the temperature.   I've considered adding one to the current shop to help the mini split in the winter.  I'm sure you can find a Craigs list one and get it for about 400 bucks..  I think I paid 200 bucks for the one in the first shop.

The other option I'd choose before propane is radiant wall mount heaters.  I've talked with a few people that really love this option.  I'm the first to admit that I don't know much about them but, they get good reviews from people I know.

• Like 1

I have a Dewalt roll around propane heater and I am ok with what it does, but if I could do an electric heater, pellet stove, or mini split I would. Like Kev mentioned it does add moisture, but in a non climate controlled shop I think that is negligible. I basically turn the heater on for 15 to 20 minutes and then shut it off. My shop would equate to a bit less than a half of a 2 car garage, so this works well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kev said:

I'll just drop my 2 worth with some different options as I'm not a fan of propane.  Propane adds a lot of moisture to the air.

I have the mini split in the current shop.  They are expensive so, completely understand this not being an option.  However, they work awesome!

My previous 2 shops had a pellet stove in them.  I absolutely loved this option!  They don't require much space, the only hot surface is the glass on the front, and you can do the piping yourself in less than an hour.  You can also hook them to a thermostat so they turn themselves on and off based on the temperature.   I've considered adding one to the current shop to help the mini split in the winter.  I'm sure you can find a Craigs list one and get it for about 400 bucks..  I think I paid 200 bucks for the one in the first shop.

The other option I'd choose before propane is radiant wall mount heaters.  I've talked with a few people that really love this option.  I'm the first to admit that I don't know much about them but, they get good reviews from people I know.

Would love a pellet stove, however I would pretty much be paying $700-1000 for one. Down here in Texas they are not popular at all ? Found one on Craigslist for $600 but would have to drive about 3 hours each way ... Looking at smaller new ones, still $1k +. 

Going to keep an eye out for one though, just not sure how lucky I will get unless I end up driving to like Amarillo or somewhere further up north to pick one up.

Also, curious ... If I pip one in, can the main piece be removed during summer to free up space? Or pretty much once it is in, it is in?

5 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I have a Dewalt roll around propane heater and I am ok with what it does, but if I could do an electric heater, pellet stove, or mini split I would. Like Kev mentioned it does add moisture, but in a non climate controlled shop I think that is negligible. I basically turn the heater on for 15 to 20 minutes and then shut it off. My shop would equate to a bit less than a half of a 2 car garage, so this works well. 

Is it this one? 

45,000 BTU Portable Radiant Propane Space Heater

How safe do you feel it is in your garage? How long does it take to heat up your shop to like 65-70? 

I was also thinking about one of these ...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-80-000-BTU-Propane-Convection-Heater-MH80CVX/305092292

I run propane in my shop, it's a forced air mr. Heater. I would argue the fact that it adds moisture. If anything in my situation it drys it out. I have a digital thermometer and moisture sensor in there and it drops the humidity quite a bit with the heat on. Maybe the wall mount burner type add moisture. I park my truck in the shop, when it snows it bring s the humidity up quite a bit. We are also have pretty dry air around here in the winter, have to run humidifiers in homes. 

I picked my heater up from Menards for $450 and about another $100 in piping. I did hook it up myself including running the gas line. It was closer to trench a line from my tank than to run line from the house so went that option. 

This is a question I was thinking about asking the other day.....how warm do you guys keep your shops when your not in them?  

• Like 1

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/heaters/gas-garage-heaters/mr-heater-reg-big-maxx-dual-fuel-forced-air-garage-heater/f260550/heating-cooling/heaters/gas-garage-heaters/mr-heater-reg-big-maxx-dual-fuel-forced-air-garage-heater/f260560/p-1444441204088.htm

here is the link to the heater I have.  Buddy of mine has the smaller one in a 30x36 garage Andy it heats it well. I went with the mid size one to have the btus to heat both mine and the wife's garage which would be around 2000sq ft

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I’d be curious on shop temps as well. I’d be happy with 65ish or so to work in. 

those look real nice but I’m only in 400 sq ft garage so a bit overkill I think. 

I like mine around that 63-65 to work in. It depends on how cold it is around here I usually don't let mine get below 45. If I do it seems like it takes quite a bit to get it to feel warm in there again. Lot of cement and iron to heat up. 

What do you think about going with a milk house type electric heater?

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_595_595?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters %26 Stoves %2B Fireplaces > Electric Heaters&utm_campaign=Fahrenheat&utm_content=17303&&ds_e_ad_type=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1emV7tmI7QIVz8DACh1bDwUAEAQYASABEgJ0WPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brother in law has one in his garage and likes it.  They do spin the meter pretty fast so keep that in mind.  Would be simple to install 

Yes that is the model I have. It doesn’t take long to heat up, but again my shop is 10’x18’. I feel safe more because I will turn on and then turn off when it reaches a comfortable temperature. The hose is long enough that I can leave the tank outside the shop. I have used outside and it throws off some good heat. I also have a small space heater that I use if I’m just going to be standing at where my bench is. 

7 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Also, curious ... If I pipe one in, can the main piece be removed during summer to free up space? Or pretty much once it is in, it is in?

Yes.  The pipe is a twist lock.  I actually moved my whole set up to my wife's cousin's house that they were building so that they could get heat in their garage area to finish some siding in the middle of winter.  About 10 minutes to pull it all apart to move.

I'm surprised you're having trouble finding one!  I paid 1600 for the one I have but, it also holds 3 bags of pellets at a time.  Most of them only hold one.  I'm sure one will pop up for you!

• Like 1