Jump to content
Scheduled Maintenance Saturday, 13th, 2022 7-11AM MDT ×
Title of the document

Axiom Stratus Air Cleaner/Air Filtration....


RxR Sawdust Station
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi ?,

I'm just wondering IF anyone here is using the Axiom Stratus Air Cleaner/Air Filtration or know anyone that is?

https://www.axiomstratus.com/shop/

One-size-fits-all, portable air filtration lasts 15 times longer |  Woodworking Network

As I've mentioned, I will be living in my Woodshop (at least for a while. hopefully, just for a while) ?.  As I've mentioned, I'm taking every practical precaution as I practically can.

I've sold one my worst dust offenders, my table saw, and replaced it with what is purported to be the best wood cutting, dust collecting system I'm aware of (new to this Woodworking game in the 21st Century), the Festool system.

I just ordered a general purpose dust collection adapter kit for my miter saw to use with with Festool gear.  I used my miter saw the other day and noticed (I was pretty sure of before using it) that it's not compatible with the Festool dust extractor.  We'll see how that works out.

Now, at present, I have no Air Filtration System....and, now, I'm glad I haven't bought one at this point.  I also, at this point have not been cutting wood to the degree I intend to.

The ceilings in this 1924 brick schoolhouse are approximately 11.5 feet off the floor (that may change an inch or two one way or the other once I figure out what it is going to take to close those gaps).  Therefore, it is not suggested a person even put their air filtration up that high for a number of reasons - just one being regular maintenance of air filtration systems.  I just watched a @StumpyNubs video regarding the Axiom Stratus and for all the reasons he, and others, have stated, ceiling mounted air filtration systems are not the best solution for situations such as mine.

One other reason he and others have mentioned is that ceiling mounted air filtration drags the dust right past your face as it attempts to get to the air filtration system.  The Axiom Stratus pulls the dust down away from the woodworkers face - seems a no-brainer.

So, I'm looking for experiences or opinions on this system.

I have to buy something.  I still have to save a few more pennies to purchase any air filtration system.  In the interim, I've been doing my due diligence in researching my options.  The price difference between a ceiling mounted unit and the Stratus mobile unit are negligible in the overall scheme of things.

One other question I have directly related to the Axiom Stratus is what is the Charcoal Filter for?  What shop problem is it intended to address?  Is it for neutralizing chemicals - paints or solvents or welding fumes?  I know what charcoal filters are generally used for.  I have looked for an answer to that question and I don't seem to find it on my own.

**One last thing: I have looked at several of these threads and noticed a curious method of 'continuation' that I don't have a firm grasp on.  It seems to me, without knowing or understanding, a member starts a thread then comes back and adds to it with information gathered from somewhere else. What is that all about? (now that I needed to reference what I'm trying to describe - the precise wording that is being used - it seems this server migration has not restored those threads that included them)**

Thanks in advance for any assistance or guidance or even just looking in on the thread!

?,

RR

 

image.jpeg

Edited by RxR Sawdust Station
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll see if I can add a few answers...

1.  Charcoal Filter - Typically, this is to filter VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) such as paint fumes.  Might be a nice option is you spray lacquer in your shop.

2.  Migrated Threads - The original version of this forum was on a free site and we couldn't migrate those posts to this forum.  Myself and the staff copied those posts here one at a time so that the information wasn't lost.  We tried to give credit to the original poster in each one but, at first glance, they look like the information came from one of us.  Now, with that said, when we migrate servers this time, the software isn't going to change so, we'll grab a back up at the last minute and everything should transfer right over and you shouldn't notice anything.

3.  As for location of the filter, there are just as many opinions on location as there are filter manufacturers!  I still need to take care of this in my shop and I will probably be adding 2.  I will put one up high which will circulate air in the shop and collect the lighter stuff.  I will also add one low to collect the heavier stuff.  I could be wrong but, I think the general thought is to run these when you're really not in the shop, end of the day, lunch time, etc..  For me, it would be end of the day and for a couple hours prior to shooting finish in the shop.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a jack leg air filtration. I have couple 20” box fans with a low micron filter around the shop hanging from the ceiling around my fine dust makers. I keep them running on high all the time. Does a good job of keeping at least the dust I can see non existent. Now do I think this is best well no. But is a cheap option til you save up for the correct thing.  

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Kev said:

I'll see if I can add a few answers...

1.  Charcoal Filter - Typically, this is to filter VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) such as paint fumes.  Might be a nice option is you spray lacquer in your shop.

2.  Migrated Threads - The original version of this forum was on a free site and we couldn't migrate those posts to this forum.  Myself and the staff copied those posts here one at a time so that the information wasn't lost.  We tried to give credit to the original poster in each one but, at first glance, they look like the information came from one of us.  Now, with that said, when we migrate servers this time, the software isn't going to change so, we'll grab a back up at the last minute and everything should transfer right over and you shouldn't notice anything.

3.  As for location of the filter, there are just as many opinions on location as there are filter manufacturers!  I still need to take care of this in my shop and I will probably be adding 2.  I will put one up high which will circulate air in the shop and collect the lighter stuff.  I will also add one low to collect the heavier stuff.  I could be wrong but, I think the general thought is to run these when you're really not in the shop, end of the day, lunch time, etc..  For me, it would be end of the day and for a couple hours prior to shooting finish in the shop.

1) Thank you, that's what I suspected (odd I couldn't find the info anywhere).  At this point I am only at the boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits level of experience.  Neither of which was on a "woodworking" project.  I took what I learned about them and applied them to some old wood handles knives I've had for a very long time and needed some attention.  Worked great.

2) Thank you.  That explains it perfectly.  It did read like it was pulled from somewhere else and dropped in.

3)  I agree with you on the opinions on the matter.  When I started to reignite my interest in woodworking and after researching the topic I knew I wanted to filter the air.  At that time I was not aware of the low air filtration units.  I have pondered what you describe - putting a ceiling mounted unit lower to the work being done.  I only became aware of it as a consumer product when Powermatic came out with their PM1250 Micro Dust Air Filtration System version.  I was intrigued by the concept.  I look forward to seeing how you approach the subject!  I had not considered removing dust particles in the air prior to applying finish to a project.  I haven't gotten that far yet ?  Makes perfect sense!  Thank you for this information as well!

Thank you, Kev!

?,

RR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

To your point #3 Kev ... Mark (Wood Whisperer) and Jay Bates made videos on shop air filters and the one he runs and what it actually does:

 

 

Take a look at those, they may be able to handle a few of your questions too.

Thank you, BW!  I like Marc's approach to air filtration in that video.  I, too, am pretty isolated here - far away from any other residences - far fewer than what he described.  The nearest dwellings besides my brother's place is at least a 1/4 mile away from the Schoolhouse.  After watching Marc's video I'm thinking I'm going to direct my dust collection outside.  Before this, when I thought I was going to use the two stage system I built I was going to use the collection barrel but outside and I was thinking about buying the Oneida Dust Sentry ($148).  Thanks for jogging my memory on the outdoors dump!

And, yeah on the Bates video.  I've been following his work for a very long time.  When I jumped to the video on YT from your link I saw I had already ?'d it ?.  He puts out great content, to include this video.

Thank you for your input, BW!  I do appreciate it!

?,

RR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I'm a cheap ass and use a box fan with a furnace filter taped to it. Amazing how much it catches. I should upgrade to a mounted one someday. 

I'm with ya there, brother!  I have seriously considered that option.  Just the other day I saw a great blower with motor on Facebook.  It looked brand new for $50 (I always think that's a starting price and I can negotiate it down even just a little) and I instantly thought of Jay Bate's DIY air filtration unit.

Thanks a bunch, Jamie!  I appreciate your thoughts on the subject!

?,

RR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Tmize said:

I have a jack leg air filtration. I have couple 20” box fans with a low micron filter around the shop hanging from the ceiling around my fine dust makers. I keep them running on high all the time. Does a good job of keeping at least the dust I can see non existent. Now do I think this is best well no. But is a cheap option til you save up for the correct thing.  

Hello T!

You'll have to excuse me but, what is "jack leg air filtration"?

I have pondered doing the same.  I may still do it as I do hope to try spray finishing one day (I'll have some questions on that topic when the time comes! ?).  I saw DIY Tyler's spray filter and thought I'd do that IF I ever needed to.

I like your way of thinking.  When I first started back into woodworking I called what I was doing as the "Do With What You Got Shop" ?

I am trying to work a consumer purchased product into the Schoolhouse Woodshop but, who knows what the future holds.  I may come across some free box fans and some scrap plywood and put something together!  Anything can happen at any time! ?

Thanks for your input, T!  It is greatly appreciated!

?,

RR

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jack leg is a old common name we still use in the south for what most call DIY now. Basically with out any basic training or knowledge on something to make it work an performs the function needed at that time. Not always with safety an longevity in mind. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Jack leg is a old common name we still use in the south for what most call DIY now. Basically with out any basic training or knowledge on something to make it work an performs the function needed at that time. Not always with safety an longevity in mind. 

Ah...so what English speaking people call Jury-rigged (something assembled quickly with the materials on hand) or Jerry-rigged (cheaply or poorly built)! ?

**just pulling your leg, Jack!** ?

Thanks, T, sincerely!...that's a new one for me.

RR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RxR Sawdust Station said:

 

3)  I agree with you on the opinions on the matter.  When I started to reignite my interest in woodworking and after researching the topic I knew I wanted to filter the air.  At that time I was not aware of the low air filtration units.  I have pondered what you describe - putting a ceiling mounted unit lower to the work being done.  I only became aware of it as a consumer product when Powermatic came out with their PM1250 Micro Dust Air Filtration System version.  I was intrigued by the concept.  I look forward to seeing how you approach the subject!  I had not considered removing dust particles in the air prior to applying finish to a project.  I haven't gotten that far yet ?  Makes perfect sense!  Thank you for this information as well!

 

So, I know what I'd like my approach to be but, PM's price tag for their unit is asinine!   I haven't done my homework on alternatives yet.  For the overhead, I'm seriously looking at the Rikon. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kev said:

So, I know what I'd like my approach to be but, PM's price tag for their unit is asinine!   I haven't done my homework on alternatives yet.  For the overhead, I'm seriously looking at the Rikon. 

I have seen setups where you have a ceiling mounted unit and then the same unit lower to the ground or under a bench surface. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kev said:

So, I know what I'd like my approach to be but, PM's price tag for their unit is asinine!   I haven't done my homework on alternatives yet.  For the overhead, I'm seriously looking at the Rikon. 

Yeah, I was rather stunned when I saw the price, too.  It better be able to cook breakfast at that price! ?

The Rikon unit does look good!  The WEN unit, the 3415T, the more capable of the two they offer looks good, too.  And at $293.93 it's nearly half of what the other similar units go for.  I include WEN because I see them supporting Woodworkers of all types on IG, they've even liked some of my posts.

RR

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the Jet version ... bought way back when it was always on sale for like mid $200's I believe it was ?? Seems to do an OK job getting dust filtered, I have to replace the filter a decent amount while working on projects and running it frequently. Not sure how well it is doing, just going off the amount of dust in the filter ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Also this email showed up again ... how crazy do you want to get with this? ? 

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/gyro-air-g700-dust-processor

 

That crazy, I am...to want it, but then justifying it is a matter altogether different! ?  I'd have to literally build a shop just to put it in - but I'd do it! ?

I think it was Stumpy talking about him seeing it at a woodworking convention a year or so ago and the fellow standing right next to the machine talking to the Harvey representative in the booth asked if the Harvey rep could turn it on.  The representative said "It is on".  Granted, it was on low, but still....amazing machine!  Stumpy has one in his new shop.

?,

RR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2020 at 8:56 PM, Jamie said:

I'm a cheap ass and use a box fan with a furnace filter taped to it. Amazing how much it catches. I should upgrade to a mounted one someday. 

Can we, in the future, refer to you as cheap ass?? just jackin with you bud! 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2020 at 8:51 PM, Coop said:

Can we, in the future, refer to you as cheap ass?? just jackin with you bud! 

Lol you can call me whatever ya like! My being a cheap ass has cost me a lot of money.  Why do it right the first time when you can do it cheap and do it twice. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

Lol you can call me whatever ya like! My being a cheap ass has cost me a lot of money.  Why do it right the first time when you can do it cheap and do it twice. 

LOL! you mean at least 3-4 times right? Denial of it not working right the first time due to cheapness doesnt set in just yet ?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

LOL! you mean at least 3-4 times right? Denial of it not working right the first time due to cheapness doesnt set in just yet ?

It's a rather large crowd!  Think of all those people buying IKEA 3 or 4 times instead of paying people like us to do it once!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 3:54 AM, Kev said:

So, I know what I'd like my approach to be but, PM's price tag for their unit is asinine!   I haven't done my homework on alternatives yet.  For the overhead, I'm seriously looking at the Rikon. 

Thinking of our conversation, I saw this the other day - Laguna 540, 730 or 1200 CFM Air Filtration System is on sale (not related to Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I don't believe) down from $389.00 to $299.00.

https://lagunatools.com/classic/dust-collectors/air-filtration-unit/

There are several features I really like about it.  The Air Filter Indicator for one, its CFM ratings for another.  The electrostatic pre-filter is washable.

?,

RR

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, RxR Sawdust Station said:

Thinking of our conversation, I saw this the other day - Laguna 540, 730 or 1200 CFM Air Filtration System is on sale (not related to Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I don't believe) down from $389.00 to $299.00.

https://lagunatools.com/classic/dust-collectors/air-filtration-unit/

There are several features I really like about it.  The Air Filter Indicator for one, its CFM ratings for another.  The electrostatic pre-filter is washable.

?,

RR

Nice find! Did you order it yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Nice find! Did you order it yet?

Hello Jamie,

First - +1 (empty quiver ?).

No I haven't ordered any.  I'm really leaning toward the Axiom Stratus.  Given my situation (11-1/2 foot ceiling), it just makes more sense to me - even if it only makes sense in my head and not in reality! ?,

But, yeah...it's a great price reduction on what looks to be a very nice unit if that is the direction one goes.

Regards,

RR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...