Title of the document

Bandsaw DC

Tmize

So I have my Laguna 14/12 bandsaw now for almost a year now. For the first couple months it had no dust collection at all. Then finally got around to hooking it up to the factory 4” port on the side of the machine. An that worked adequate  as long I didn’t try an cut anything other 2” thick. Any time I would try an resaw or cut anything thicker dust would go everywhere including all over the table. So I suffered thru it or procrastinated doing anything about it. So I google some images under the table bandsaw DC. I got a few decent ideas. So I ordered some 2 1/2 hose an a 4” to 2 1/2” y pipe an found this cool router table collector. It fit like a glove under the table. It slides right into a recess in the casting. The blade guard on the body slides up an pinches it in place. I had bought some magnets just in case but I don’t think I will need them. 933315D0-883D-4952-BBA0-BF43E6DCA7B0.thumb.jpeg.5b45504b9ca326e246148aca60f41756.jpegEC60532E-6E68-437A-9F9E-AE3B06C31FFF.thumb.jpeg.2a6d6a7f3603a46e8ec2f27042153ec8.jpeg

Great job @Tmize!

I have 2 bandsaws in my shop, both the Grizz.  I'll be honest in that I've never been satisfied with the DC on either one.  I'll also admit that I have them at the ends of my DC runs so, don't get the max from my DC that they really deserve!

Also, since I'm being honest, I love my Grizz saws!  Reality is that I can't legitimately justify replacing either one as they do what I ask of them.  However, as I get closer to retirement where I won't have the budget to upgrade these machines, I've been considering replacing both of them.  I was fortunate enough to use the Laguna in @Chet's shop and really liked the saw!  I'm not really sure that it did anything that my Grizz didn't but, it was definitely a nicer saw.

I'm sure I'll be on the fence for a while before pulling the trigger but, posts like this push me that direction.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

Not familiar with the Laguna as I have a Grizz. Does yours have brushes against the blade below the table. Mine does and I have no dc problem what so ever, straight from the factory. 

Mine doesn’t have a brush against the blade. It does have one on the lower wheel. The factory port does a great job of keeping the lower wheel compartment clean a dust free. It needed collection up closer to the throat plate help dust from piling up there an the table top. 

13 minutes ago, Kev said:

Great job @Tmize!

I have 2 bandsaws in my shop, both the Grizz.  I'll be honest in that I've never been satisfied with the DC on either one.  I'll also admit that I have them at the ends of my DC runs so, don't get the max from my DC that they really deserve!

Also, since I'm being honest, I love my Grizz saws!  Reality is that I can't legitimately justify replacing either one as they do what I ask of them.  However, as I get closer to retirement where I won't have the budget to upgrade these machines, I've been considering replacing both of them.  I was fortunate enough to use the Laguna in @Chet's shop and really liked the saw!  I'm not really sure that it did anything that my Grizz didn't but, it was definitely a nicer saw.

I'm sure I'll be on the fence for a while before pulling the trigger but, posts like this push me that direction.

I couldn’t ask for a better saw. I used the Snodgrass  method to set it up an haven’t had a minute of drift an smooth cut straight out of the box. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

Hmmm. Mine does does not have a mic and the insert provided have perforations that allow the dust to drop down and there is minimal dust on the table. 

I don’t know on mine the dust would just pile up on top of my guides then fall to the floor. 

This is interesting T, I have been pleased with the dc on my 1412 and all I have ever used is the factory port and I am at the end of my dc run.  I do get some dust on the table when re-sawing but nothing that irritates me.  

But I like your set up.  I looks nice and clean in design. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

@Tmize I’ve seen others do this and have thought about doing the same to my griz. Question for you tho.....with that mounted under your table does it impede changing the angle of your table top?

Yes an no with it not being fastener down I can adjust it when I tilt the table by sliding the blade guard down to hold it. Now I haven’t tested this theory yet. 

• 4 weeks later...

Buddy would you recommend me a good bandsaw for my workshop. I want someone for long lasting usage. I checked one article on Bandsaw from  google result and got to know about Delta 28-400 14 in. 1 HP. After reading its specs i think it will be good But its disadvantage is that its offer difficultity in change in speed. So is there any other option available ? 

2 hours ago, Zexforlyd5 said:

Buddy would you recommend me a good bandsaw for my workshop. I want someone for long lasting usage. I checked one article on Bandsaw from  google result and got to know about Delta 28-400 14 in. 1 HP. After reading its specs i think it will be good But its disadvantage is that its offer difficultity in change in speed. So is there any other option available ? 

there are tons of options for you out there... but what type of budget are you working with, how big of a space do you have to put one, what will you be using the saw for mainly?

5 hours ago, Zexforlyd5 said:

In addition to the questions BW asked you in his response, Grizzly, Laguna, Rikon, Jet, Powermatic, and others all make good saws. The problem with Delta not just for a bandsaw, but for pretty much any tool the make is the lack of availability on replacement parts, so this will need to factor into your decision especially if looking used. 

7 hours ago, Zexforlyd5 said:

difficultity in change in speed

The only reason I can think of needing to change the speed on a bandsaw is you also want to cut metal with the saw.  But if this isn't in your plans then there isn't really any reason to put speed control on your list of features.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

On 11/6/2020 at 8:50 PM, Kev said:

Great job @Tmize!

So are you saying your next bandsaw would be a Laguna? Not a Minimax or Felder or something along those lines?

2 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

So are you saying your next bandsaw would be a Laguna? Not a Minimax or Felder or something along those lines?

As of right now, I really think Laguna is about the best bang for the buck.  If they were not an option, I would probably be looking at Rikon or Harvey.  I do think I will look at Felder when the time comes to see what they have in their arsenal that fit's my needs.  I just think the price range on those machines may be cost prohibitive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

gotcha! Which model/s are you thinking? I always leaning to the BX18 from them if I went Laguna route. 

That would depend on which saw I was replacing..  I don't plan on getting away from 2 bandsaws unless I have to for some reason..

8 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

If I was buying a new bandsaw I would get the 4.5 HP Rikon. It has a large table surface, 19” resaw and for under $2500 is probably the best bang for your buck. 

Yep..  They'd be on my list to look at 

• Like 1