Title of the document

Dining chairs

Jamie

Quick update, met with the upholstery man last night and made a few slight changes to get the seat to fit perfectly. Delivered to him the remaining bases to cover. 

Got a little help in the shop from Courtney to get some stain on a few of the chairs ?

7E9D7BF5-231C-4D88-A08F-98E4F1DED23F.thumb.jpeg.c5c35250d25346d7424a1e740ea46d3e.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Made quite a bit of progress on the chairs yesterday. Didn’t have any daycare for our youngest daughter so I took the day off work. Thank goodness for the tv in the shop! 

Got to work staining the remaining chairs and had one left to prep for stain.  It took about 35-40 per chair to stain. Lots of corners to get into. 623A6852-B23E-4928-B1C6-EDD92F724EB2.thumb.jpeg.3065fea73953aff0d623b3d66be2433c.jpeg 
All the chairs stained. You can see my little helper camped out in the folding chair ?

Decided to get the finish gun out and went completely through it. Really don’t think it was necessary but figured it wouldn’t hurt.  When I got that far I figured I might as well try it out.  Got the chairs set up and plastic tarps covering most of the tools in the shop and applied the first coat. Went with a sanding sealer as a first coat. 9E746302-5BB4-4DE5-8B46-09F330B506A1.thumb.jpeg.91f61dfbb18b3c632f14fc60b72b6447.jpeg0062FE86-9D0B-4526-95E9-B188AE7DD532.thumb.jpeg.e05100e5b7a9f550387a14b19593cd36.jpeg

Havent used a sealer in quite a while. Forgot how nice it is as a first finish coat. Sands super easy and was dry in about 15 min. 39960D36-C649-4A5F-B74F-A59799BF4B39.thumb.jpeg.31325723e983ae0ec9aad0e02ea792f1.jpeg

one thing I always to to any can weather it’s stain, paint or lacquer is pop a few holes in the rim to allow excess product to drain back into the can. Also give the product a place to go when you bang the lid down. E0FF37C3-5EDE-4319-B602-5C8041CD2B0D.thumb.jpeg.a4d54739511fc85539d5ed067ca13128.jpeg

I also pass each fill of the gun through a stainer. 

3AA61A57-4C90-40C2-A5B4-B285093FB64E.thumb.jpeg.b27d782611bacb56b8d963c76006eaca.jpeg

Top coat product. Can usually get away with 2 coats when used with the sealer. I sand to 280 grit between coats. Going over the wood quickly just knocking off any rough spots. 1B0D085F-0204-4707-BAF0-C0BB9ADBE527.thumb.jpeg.c9a89f84b9e6c4d9ef909d5dfcaa01da.jpeg

Pushed on into the night and got the second coat of high build on. 

Also took the top off the table and used a sanding block with 280 grit to knock the orange peal off. When I sprayed it this summer my gun was acting up a bit and it was super humid out. Had just a slight bit of orange peal in the finish that nobody but myself ever noticed. Put a coat on it last night as well and boy am I happy with it. Got 99% of the orange peel to disappear. 

I did end up going back over the chairs tonight after work with a sanding and one final coat. Just checked them and I think they will work out just fine. Waiting on the seats yet to complete this long project. Also need to go though my notebook to see how many hours this is going to be. Kept pretty close track throughout the process, maybe I don’t want to know the time ?

One question for you guys......with as many corners I’m sure that I will run into some over spray splatter on some parts....do you have a good way of knocking that down without having to apply another coat of lacquer?

• Like 4

A project with a lot of tight corners is the reason decided to add the smaller gravity feed gun to my set up.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

A project with a lot of tight corners is the reason decided to add the smaller gravity feed gun to my set up.

I do also run a gravity feed gun. Honestly it’s a harbor freight special. Was like $30 or something like that. It doesn’t work to bad for what it is. Have been looking to get into a Greco airless sprayer at some point. 

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

Did you cover your little helper with a drop cloth before spraying? ?

Looking great Jamie! 

Haha! Her mom actually got home just in time to let me take a break from the daddy day care to allow me to get the Christmas lights off the house. Was an abnormally warm day here so didn’t want to pass up the opportunity. Hit 38 for a high! Today is a different story about 3” of snow so far which means I get to get out of bed at 4am. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Very nice!!

I recently noticed the hole in the lip on a video somewhere does that work for longer term storage as well? Seems like a great idea but I wondered if it was ok for a finish that wouldn't be used up in a short period of time.

Thanks!

I haven’t noticed any shorter storage issue. I think it actually helps the can seal better as there isn’t liquid in the rim. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jamie said:

Have been looking to get into a Greco airless sprayer at some point.

If I was to get rid of my Fuji HVLP I think the one I would be looking at is the Greco HVLP with "Smart Start".  The turbine motor only runs when you pull the trigger on you gun.  Lot less noise and less wear and tear on the turbine.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 hour ago, Chet said:

If I was to get rid of my Fuji HVLP I think the one I would be looking at is the Greco HVLP with "Smart Start".  The turbine motor only runs when you pull the trigger on you gun.  Lot less noise and less wear and tear on the turbine.

That’s a good option as well......I’m leaning more towards airless. Have used them in the past and seem to be way less maintenance and cleaning than a hvlp 

Well the chairs are completely finished!!! 

The upholstery guy gave me a call this morning that he had the seats done. Super happy how they turned out. Put them all on and moved the chairs to the house. 

7F8DACC3-D279-4419-B88D-25F704762461.thumb.jpeg.ba17d7667cf987ebd0b2815f604deeef.jpegCC39FA51-0C4B-48FB-9C03-23E63FD507E9.thumb.jpeg.99113f5851a759040625e2253dcfb51d.jpeg

Happy to say they all fit around the table! 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Well the chairs are completely finished!!! 

The upholstery guy gave me a call this morning that he had the seats done. Super happy how they turned out. Put them all on and moved the chairs to the house. 

Happy to say they all fit around the table! 

Well done!  They look great around the table!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coop said:

Beautiful job Jamie! And I don’t see a dinner napkin shim one under the legs! ?

Well @Coop they are on carpet so that takes the wobble right out of them!

Carpet in a dining room was a great idea from the previous owners. Our plan is to convert it over to ash along with new quarter sawn red oak cabinets.  Just have to figure out how to pay for that project yet. 

• Thanks 1

That is a great looking dining set.  That should serve you well for many decades and your kids for many decades after that.

• Like 1