Title of the document

Dining chairs

Jamie

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I think I would be tempted to build a tenon jig for the table saw and then set the blade to the desired angle.

Really looking good!

Yeah I did use the same tenon jig to cut the shoulders. But with the angle I didn’t cross cut the angle on the table saw. 

I’m thinking I might have confused you with the “lot of cuts” comment. What I was referring to was it’s just a lot of parts. With the tenons being offset and angled it is a quite a few different setups. With the parts being 1/2” thick it made for a lot of small short cuts 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tmize said:

There is no fast way when doing angled tenons that I have found. Question tho with the angle so sharp on a short tenon is there any problem with short grain? 

Oh great job on hand cutting the shoulder. 

Thanks!

It looks sharper than it is. It’s a 10 degree cut so not sure if it will be an issue. These are actually the first angled tenons that I ever have cut so not to sure on it. Was just happy they fit!

Just now, Tmize said:

10 degrees isn’t bad just looked steeper in the photos. I’ve done them a couple times the angles really make you think about what you are doing. 

Yeah I will agree with that. Definitely a head scratcher. I really haven’t ever played much with m and t. Coming from a cabinet background it’s dados and pocket holes. Furniture is a new challenge for me. I do like it tho! 

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the last week or so gluing up the back leg assembly. Could only do a couple at a time as that is all my clamps would allow me to do without using some 6’ clamps. Need to get some pipe cut to better utilize them. 112C9307-B0AB-4120-A648-5EB74D2716A8.thumb.jpeg.6c1989bc0b8d78b2267b7107b12fd65a.jpeg1222F3E2-A02A-4CE8-AD9D-56EF724A29F7.thumb.jpeg.06c21ca28d7c8fec5abc5bf3a4b5d6a6.jpegGot back after cutting some tenons for the front of the chairs. These square tenons were pretty simple and quite enjoyable to do after coming off the back slat angled tenons. 84E310C5-B1AB-41DE-9CE6-CE4DAC33631B.thumb.jpeg.5d3b2d8b8b344f6d03b788747937dfe5.jpegC8EB96B4-0A1F-4D2C-8807-CBB78C6398DB.thumb.jpeg.409d0767bf2c1d11d28134a3463247e9.jpeg

A little dry fit of the front legs. Will get these parts sanded and glued up in the next couple of days. Am waiting on some 1/4 dowel to show up to put a few pins in the joints. Really like that feature of the chairs as I think it will match in well with the breadboard ends on the table. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Jamie, I really like the backs of the chairs.  Keep up the good work and can't wait to see them finished.

Thanks! I also can’t wait for them to be finished! Seems like this project has been taking quite a while!

Your not building just one project tho it is 7. I read this a post on here nearly everyday an enjoy it but I always forget to like it. Great build along an awesome work

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

Thanks! I also can’t wait for them to be finished! Seems like this project has been taking quite a while!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Your not building just one project tho it is 7. I read this a post on here nearly everyday an enjoy it but I always forget to like it. Great build along an awesome work

It’s actually 8 chairs, the last one was still in the clamps when that photo was taken. Thank you very much for the kind words. 

Talked to the upholstery guy tonight and he said whenever I’m ready to have the seats covered he will work them in. Need to get to his shop to select a fabric to use. Talked with him about leather and he mentioned that for dining room chairs he has another material that he likes better because it doesn’t stain. He said it is like a synthetic leather. Will have to get it checked out. 

Was cutting some of the angled tenons tonight for the seat sides. Man can they be a challenge! With an angle on both ends it really makes a guy slow down and make sure the setup is correct. 

1 minute ago, Coop said:

Looking great Jamie! Good idea on the wedges to give even clamping pressure. I wouldn’t have thought to do that.

Can’t say it was completely my idea. The plans, article and video series of these chairs has helped out a ton. Don’t think I could’ve tackled this one on my own. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jamie said:

It’s actually 8 chairs, the last one was still in the clamps when that photo was taken. Thank you very much for the kind words. 

Talked to the upholstery guy tonight and he said whenever I’m ready to have the seats covered he will work them in. Need to get to his shop to select a fabric to use. Talked with him about leather and he mentioned that for dining room chairs he has another material that he likes better because it doesn’t stain. He said it is like a synthetic leather. Will have to get it checked out. 

Was cutting some of the angled tenons tonight for the seat sides. Man can they be a challenge! With an angle on both ends it really makes a guy slow down and make sure the setup is correct. 

Thought I remembered it was 8 chairs but I only counted 7 in the pic. Then I know most chair builders build a spare. So I thought it may have been a set of 6 with a spare

• Like 1

Well created my first pile of firewood parts for the project. The side rails I made both tenons angled and only needed to angle the tenon going into the back of the chairs. The mortises on the fronts were registered off the bevel of the leg so needed to be straight. Snuck out of work to run to get more material and have it planed down. Actually ran it through a planer sander on all 4 sides. Made quick work to get back on track. A85D52C5-BD26-4367-A98C-ACC2C0D81D60.thumb.jpeg.5ddadb87eb217cfbfe51c0172452a69d.jpeg

The firewood pile ?

Did get the new parts tenons all cut and dry fit a chair. Pic just hasn’t transferred from my phone to iPad yet. Will post the pic tomorrow for you guys. Have to say a real sense of pride came over me seeing a chair really take shape! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Kev said:

I hate setbacks..  lol

Happens to all of us bud!  Glad you didn't have a bunch of glue on one before you figured it out!

Yeah I do to! Nothing major just about 5 hours of lost time and $60 in material. With the full scale drawings it just seemed funny and for the life of me I couldn’t see where I went wrong right away. Just knew something was off. 

37 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I always find out after it’s glued up. Speaking of that are you using pva glue on these chairs?

I used titebond 3 on the backs. Like the long open time with it. Downside I feel is having to leave it in the clamps for quite a bit longer than using the original. 

I use tb 3 for most everything. I have know first hand with this but I’ve been reading a lot about chair building lately. Almost all chair builder recommend hide glue or liquid hide glue for at least the aprons an seat area because these area have the most stress an hide glue is easier to repair the joint down the road. 

2 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I use tb 3 for most everything. I have know first hand with this but I’ve been reading a lot about chair building lately. Almost all chair builder recommend hide glue or liquid hide glue for at least the aprons an seat area because these area have the most stress an hide glue is easier to repair the joint down the road. 

That is good info. I have never messed around with hide glue before. All these joints are going to get a dowel put in them yet, a repair down the road is not going to be a pleasant one. Would have to drill the dowel out before ever thinking about getting the joint apart. 

The new side stretchers ABAB18F3-8E27-4DA3-958C-9F9ACB39ED4F.thumb.jpeg.c168a125776413d605ba78aeba4f542f.jpeg

And the dry fit. It’s pieced together with test parts so not the cleanest joints. Threw a scrap piece of ply on it and started with the lightest kid and worked the way through the family before I sat on it. It held! 6E8E8510-9C36-4B69-B120-B9F43135CC19.thumb.jpeg.79efe6d6e44e6bb6fce81ef42be1206c.jpeg

• Like 4

Those are really going to be nice looking chairs.  Are you going to do fabric seats or wood?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus