Title of the document

Dining chairs

Jamie

I think I would rather watch glue dry than wait on a tool needed to complete a job. And in the far past, I’ve even tried an alternate tool and ended up wishing I hadn’t. Jamie, getting things wrapped up for the winter? Like raking leaves and picking peaches off the trees? ?

6 minutes ago, Coop said:

I think I would rather watch glue dry than wait on a tool needed to complete a job. And in the far past, I’ve even tried an alternate tool and ended up wishing I hadn’t. Jamie, getting things wrapped up for the winter? Like raking leaves and picking peaches off the trees? ?

Yes it a painful wait. 

Lol I wish we had peaches to pick. Yeah garden hoses drained, plants trimmed up, tons of leaves picked up ( which was pointless as the big maple in my front yard dropped all its leaves today) and got the snow blower tuned up. 
Did cut all the leaves off the horseradish patch and am contemplating digging a few roots up. Was always told to wait 2 years before digging, which mine have been in for a year. The roots I started came from established plants so might try a couple and see what I get. 

1 minute ago, Coop said:

Horseradish! I love that stuff and never thought about growing my own. I need to find a variety that will grow well down here. How did you get your starter plant? 

I love it as well! When I harvested some last fall and this spring I took the root caps and planted them. Some buddies let me dig in their patches and another gave me some root to get a patch started. I planted a 30” wide by 10’ long patch by our garden shed. After cutting the leaves off it seems like there are 20-25 plants going. 

After a quick search it will grow in zone 9, said it grows best in places that get a hard frost that make the plant go dormant.  I’d be happy to send you some root to try to get a patch going. 

Man, I appreciate the offer! I checked on line after typing this and found the same. It has been a while since we had a hard frost and then, I would be betting against my tomatoes and they would be pissed. I guess I’m better just buying it fresh from the grocery store. Thanks again for the offer! It on top of prime rib or mixed in a cocktail concoction over raw oysters, can’t be beat! K

• Like 1

Update from Rikon.......haven't seen the parts show up yet and with it going on 2 weeks I decided to give them a call today.   This is after having an email from mid last week go unanswered. 

Talked to a different guy than the one I had been emailing. He looked it up and the parts we not released to be shipped. Mentioned that the guy I emailed didn't fill the form out correctly. I did get a confirmation that the order was placed shortly after getting off the phone with them. So the wait continues. 

I did take the down time away from the chairs to sit around a bit and did do a few shop organizer projects. Not so much to organize tools but to get my ice fishing gear in order. 

That sucks bud. I guess it’s who you talk to. 

A good friend has been waiting 3 weeks on a part for his Tacoma. The Toyota dealer told him it could be until December for it to arrive. He got the pn and called Toyota and just happened to get with the assistant to logistics and she had the part overnighted on a weekend from China. 

1 minute ago, Coop said:

That sucks bud. I guess it’s who you talk to. 

A good friend has been waiting 3 weeks on a part for his Tacoma. The Toyota dealer told him it could be until December for it to arrive. He got the pn and called Toyota and just happened to get with the assistant to logistics and she had the part overnighted on a weekend from China. 

Yes it's quite frustrating, it has given me the time to make sure all my parts are in order tho. Getting to the point in the project were left s and rights along with top and bottom come into play. Really don't want to make a mistake at this point by rushing through. So maybe it's a blessing to slow the process down some. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie said:

So maybe it's a blessing to slow the process down some. 

I have had times like this and ended up thinking about a step in a project that I surely would have screwed up if I hadn't had the extra time to think about it some in advance.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

We’re back in business!

9D96DC17-02A3-4ECB-9810-7B4FB6DCA39A.thumb.jpeg.115306ef44d50a8affe20c46b3c78cfe.jpeg

Chisel showed up, not really happy with the quality of it as the points of the chisel are not square to each other. I didn’t notice it right away but after I started sharpening it the points being out of wack showed up. Don’t think it will hurt much but still bothered me. EF186920-2C1D-444A-AB83-D9C367EDFD0C.thumb.jpeg.381c8b880cb5dc4c954a889854823552.jpeg

Decided to give it a try instead of waiting for another chisel. Worked better than the first one! Well in that I mean it didn’t break. I did have to make a slight adjustment to my layout line to make everything center up. For some reason my template was a touch off on the width of the right side mortise. Did some figuring and checking with a caliper to get it dialed in. Not a big deal and they were all marked the same so just had to cut about 1/32 over the line.

23698667-6F7C-4724-8735-946BFC51ED19.thumb.jpeg.38a02a7da3de187e66079dfe86bb9602.jpeg

Cutting the mortises on the shoe rail had the rikon about maxed out. Had about 1/4 clearance from the bit to the piece. Made it a little awkward to press the bit into the wood as not much leverage on the handle. Actually had to clamp the mortiser to the bench to get it to work. Which some of you guys know how heavy this bench top machine is. 

Am happy to say that all the mortises are cut! Now onto shaping out the crest and shoe rails then on to cutting some angled tenons. 

• Like 4

You have to be happy to get this going again.  I guess the chairs won't be done in time for Thanksgiving. ?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

8 hours ago, Chet said:

You have to be happy to get this going again.  I guess the chairs won't be done in time for Thanksgiving. ?

Very happy! Yeah I don’t think I’ll make that self imposed deadline. Maybe by Christmas ?

Did get to spend most of today out in the shop ? Getting back to work on the chairs has put me back in a good mood. Have been mad at the world for the last couple of weeks. 

The shoe rail was the first matter of business today.....it has a bevel on the top 3 edges and a curve on the bottom side. 27A2EA4A-9725-43FC-AF9B-2068E12B25A0.thumb.jpeg.f59e622d872bef04ee7785d28d782075.jpeg

First bevel was pretty straight forward with a easy rip on the tablesaw and a light pass over the jointer to take the saw marks out. B5DFDD9D-B015-4F98-942D-931BC4C96C4E.thumb.jpeg.7db4e94c2a57a7c602f5e6be78091c90.jpeg

Made a template for the bevels on the sides and for the bottom curve for marking all the shoes out. Cut the side bevel and curve on the bandsaw and cleaned them up with the belt sander and spindle sander. B4EB43C7-605F-4B45-8B8F-9AA72B27589A.thumb.jpeg.6096a97c573d952effb89e61d2187869.jpeg

Here is the completed shoe rail. 220DB233-DCA1-4248-A037-60D98F62600D.thumb.jpeg.2f7f5e0e610fecb61bc0531f7d6661c8.jpeg

Made another template for the curve on the crest rail. 0B25322B-6FDA-4ACF-96B3-A637B65690B1.thumb.jpeg.f8812a935267218baa41a475a985547f.jpeg

After the first curve was cut and cleaned up I used a handy little scribe tool to mark the back of the curve. 
A205DB35-58BA-47D5-9557-9F157D50D203.thumb.jpeg.e762dcc9b5907bd9f88cbc9415bb9c0a.jpeg

Compiled crest rail. 040B4E86-0F08-402A-9F7B-95FB06A3E53B.thumb.jpeg.2e35e5d0f29f94f37e3e6f6b762a23ba.jpeg

Had a nasty crack show up in one of the crest rail parts. Was pretty happy at this point that I had made an extra one for this occasion. 
8F09A079-6FB1-462C-8D43-ADB8D28B60D5.thumb.jpeg.172b19db3b8fb7300f6294d8247c331b.jpeg

Had to dry fit one for fun! Put together with no clamps so the little gap will pull right together. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Jamie the chairs are looking good, I would drop a note to Rikon about the issue with the replacement, not so much for another replacement, but for quality control. 

Thanks!

Good idea.  I was thinkin the same.  That 1/4" was also a little undersized.  After checking it with the caliper was getting 0.23.  Which really isnt a big deal other than my 1/4 chisel wouldnt fit into the mortise. 

13 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Thanks!

Good idea.  I was thinkin the same.  That 1/4" was also a little undersized.  After checking it with the caliper was getting 0.23.  Which really isnt a big deal other than my 1/4 chisel wouldnt fit into the mortise. 

Did you check the chisel with your calipers as well?  

Got started on the back slat tenons, lot of short little cuts to be made with the bottom tennon being angled added a little bit to the process. 11251401-C1C8-40CC-ADA8-B691F859B07E.thumb.jpeg.6e7dfbac787194c0945bb4e86e06edec.jpeg

Made a lot of test cuts to get it dialed in. Was a little tricky getting them just right as with the angle it made it a challenge to measure. 3E394A04-C2CF-4541-9B70-F3B228C86943.thumb.jpeg.94eeb73a87d189e6cf3f20198128930b.jpeg

Had to make the final shoulder cut by hand. Used bevel gauge and a knife to mark it out then just nibble away at it with the chisel. With 3 slats per chair this process will take a little time. 76243C43-5DCC-4400-8A8C-92F86FC74AD0.thumb.jpeg.c99838f3c671ecaebcb4925789ad19fe.jpeg

One side all cleaned up. 960638CB-6298-4212-AD9A-BB56E0C0A0A4.thumb.jpeg.d2cf19cc78d8bbd3f52e495ef6f1e8aa.jpeg

Did get the parts to this chair all finished sanded and dry fit. Really happy how they are coming. Might have to figure out a good way to clamp the back slats, with them being on an angle I can’t seem to get a good straight pressure applied. Thinking I’ll have to cut an angled clamping cull of some sorts. With the hand work and wait time on the glue I’m going to try to approach it one chair at a time, do the hand work and glue it up before going on to the next step. 

• Like 3