Title of the document

Dining chairs

Jamie

7 minutes ago, Jamie said:

If you look over her shoulder in the picture you can see her method of transportation. God I hope she never sees this comment ?

Someone save this..  There will be some blackmail somewhere in the future ?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jamie said:

Well I got bit by the broken hcm but this morning. 1/4” drill bit snapped off. Was only on the 3rd mortise with the bit. 9A4ACD81-7308-41A0-9C9A-B45F1EA7E15D.thumb.jpeg.dff77c39d3a33d3cc6f46ee5f4d578a2.jpeg33D87CB6-828C-4B29-AE50-EB12C62482F8.thumb.jpeg.8da07e39a7dd4cc786e668b60765b0c5.jpeg

Going to check with rikon on getting it replaced. 

Here is Emmi and her creations. 71157753-7B12-44A9-90B2-BE4153642F43.thumb.jpeg.83aece24149ad426f3dbc82662999ea6.jpeg

Remember a few months ago the same thing happened to mine. Our discussion on it is over in power tool section. I had not cut a whole lot with mine before it broke maybe 20 or so. 

13 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Remember a few months ago the same thing happened to mine. Our discussion on it is over in power tool section. I had not cut a whole lot with mine before it broke maybe 20 or so. 

Yes I remember it very well. Was the first thing I thought of when it happened. Sent an email to rikon and will see what they say. Also ordered a chisel so I can keep going on the project. 

On 10/31/2020 at 7:53 PM, Jamie said:

As you can see from her expression she was thrilled to do it.

My wife is usually pretty willing to give me a hand but if it is going to be an extended process I have two grand kids that live next door that I use to avoid the death stare.

But I am guessing the real mistake you made was taking the picture.

• Haha 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

Update from rikon.......

I emailed them yesterday and got a response first thing this morning, which I was shocked it was that quick of response! They are sending the parts for the depth stop along with a new 1/4” chisel and bit. 

Nice!  Good customer service goes a long way!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tmize said:

Dang I should have tried that. I normally just take the easy way out when it comes to dealing with any kind of CS. An just don’t contact them most of the time it’s not worth getting even madder about the problem. ?‍♂️

Shoot them an email. Don’t have to talk to anyone that way ?

• Like 1

Ordered a 1/4” delta chisel and bit from amazon to keep going on the project. Ordered it before I got a response back from rikon. It showed up today and had me excited to get back on the chairs. Opened the bit up and man was it short. Fit in the rikon just fine but the drill bit was to short to reach the chuck. So now I find myself waiting on the rikon shipment. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Ordered a 1/4” delta chisel and bit from amazon to keep going on the project. Ordered it before I got a response back from rikon. It showed up today and had me excited to get back on the chairs. Opened the bit up and man was it short. Fit in the rikon just fine but the drill bit was to short to reach the chuck. So now I find myself waiting on the rikon shipment. 

Ouch..  Probably a bit you won't use much either..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Ouch..  Probably a bit you won't use much either..

Yeah I agree it’s not gonna see much use going forward. Was thinking maybe changing it up to 5/16” issue I’m seeing doing that is these m&t are for the back slats that are 9/16” thick and have an angled tenon on one end. 

7 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Yeah I agree it’s not gonna see much use going forward. Was thinking maybe changing it up to 5/16” issue I’m seeing doing that is these m&t are for the back slats that are 9/16” thick and have an angled tenon on one end. 

I know I'm tired but, I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here..??

Just now, Kev said:

I know I'm tired but, I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here..??

Lol no worries,  I’ll try to do better on explaining.....

The thickness of the back rest of the chairs is 9/16” which the plans call for a 1/4 tenon on the ends. The tenon going into the shoe rail has about a 10 degree angle so that the back rest slat goes in line with the back legs. I should do a little trial run and see if 5/16” tenon will work out with the angle that has to be cut. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Lol no worries,  I’ll try to do better on explaining.....

The thickness of the back rest of the chairs is 9/16” which the plans call for a 1/4 tenon on the ends. The tenon going into the shoe rail has about a 10 degree angle so that the back rest slat goes in line with the back legs. I should do a little trial run and see if 5/16” tenon will work out with the angle that has to be cut. 

Yea, I think a test is in order.  By pure math, the larger tenon should not work but, a few swipes with a shoulder plane would clean that up quickly.  

I think I could be tempted to build a quick sled for the router table to cut that tenon.  That way you can dial in exactly what you need and have repeatability from chair to chair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coop said:

Jamie, I’m like Kev, a little late in the night but, right now, what is the width of your mortises. If I understand correctly, the thickness of your board is only 9/16 and the intended thickness of your tenon is 5/16? 

The thickness of the board is 9/16 and the planed m&t calls for 1/4”. My thought is increasing the size of the m&t to 5/16. With the tenon being angled I’m worried that it won’t quite leave enough room to make a shoulder cut considering the offset of the tenon with the angle on it. 

19 minutes ago, Kev said:

Yea, I think a test is in order.  By pure math, the larger tenon should not work but, a few swipes with a shoulder plane would clean that up quickly.  

I think I could be tempted to build a quick sled for the router table to cut that tenon.  That way you can dial in exactly what you need and have repeatability from chair to chair.

Yeah I bet if I just draw it out on a board it should give me the answer. I like the router idea! My plan was to do it all on the tablesaw. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Yeah I bet if I just draw it out on a board it should give me the answer. I like the router idea! My plan was to do it all on the tablesaw. 

You could do it there as well but, I think you get a "finer" adjustment out of the router table and a sled is easier to configure.  No wrong answer really, just a preference..

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

I think that consensus states a 1/3 ratio of the tenon to the width of the board. Therefore, 5/16 for the the tenon is a little much. Have you already cut the mortise? 

I was cutting In my test piece when the bit broke. I haven’t really even looked at the chairs since that happened. Was thinking I was at a standstill with the project till I got that bit. After being in the shop a bit tonight I realized there is a few things that I can do while waiting for the replacement from rikon to show up. 

• Like 1