Title of the document

Low bookcase

Tmize

Well I got the back built finally. Just loosely screwed into place. Still have to plane them before painting. I think I had said earlier in this thread they would be T&G  I got looking    my planes an I didn’t have the tongue plane for the board thickness at 1/2”. So I did a shiplap panel with a nickel as a spacer between boards.
I put a half round notch in one of my card scraper to match the profile of the beading plane. All my grooving type plane irons have a 15 degree back bevel on them to help with tear out. So i don’t have to worry as much about grain direction which is problem I run into mostly with drawers. Problem is at that high of a cutting angle it can leave the surface fuzzy which is better than tear out. So the scraping it brings it back to life.3D1ACCCD-AB52-43B6-A935-1E9B071CC83B.thumb.jpeg.a73de3e370817d50b864982ce1b46a70.jpegEEAFAC01-D5A9-4CFE-B02F-31EADA63967D.thumb.jpeg.6e3b8ff689bcffa9aea1cd58eb9b6330.jpegC78E0014-899A-4551-877B-85C596BFACDE.thumb.jpeg.4fb58b57e66dfc932de89a69de09e60d.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the final photos installed. I do have a question? I have a gap at the bottom right that is just enough to bug me maybe a 1/8”. Normally with built in casework I would run a piece of trim around the bottom to hide the uneven floor. I don’t think trim would look right in this situation. I thought about caulking it. We are replacing the floors in the next couple years so don’t know how I want to do this. I will remove the bookcase an run the new floors under it I may be able to shim that spot level when I do it. D83E3D1A-8FFE-4431-AFA8-28E404340F65.thumb.jpeg.4194b30b791e5f53abe07ac176555449.jpeg5EAD1195-644C-4DA7-9FFF-80B1E9849482.thumb.jpeg.38a18e11bbdb97e6ce4f956441812ebf.jpegE7C20E51-3BF6-45B0-B534-36D2EF099F98.thumb.jpeg.d852ba0984864bf05b92513d9dec8702.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Yea that’s what I was thinking anyway. Just fishing if anyone had a better idea on a way to hiding it since shoe mold wouldn’t like right. 

If it really bugs you, cut a shim to fit and paint it to match the case..

• Like 1

At first I was thinking scribe it to the floor but with new flooring coming I’d live with it till then. Might have to scribe it at that point. 

I really like the look of edge profile on the top is it just a chamfer?

Edited by Jamie

11 hours ago, Jamie said:

At first I was thinking scribe it to the floor but with new flooring coming I’d live with it till then. Might have to scribe it at that point. 

I really like the look of edge profile on the top is it just a chamfer?

Yes just a chamfer on the table saw. Give a longer bevel than router bits

• Like 1

In looking at the first picture and if I am seeing it correct, it looks like your bottom apron in almost the center area is resting on a high spot in the floor causing gaps ant the end of the case between the case and floor.

If it still sits that way after the new floor, I would think a little gentle hand planing of the apron would fix it.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

6 hours ago, Chet said:

In looking at the first picture and if I am seeing it correct, it looks like your bottom apron in almost the center area is resting on a high spot in the floor causing gaps ant the end of the case between the case and floor.

If it still sits that way after the new floor, I would think a little gentle hand planing of the apron would fix it.

Yes sir you are correct. If I had thought about it I should have put a curve in the bottom rails an that would have fixed that. Live an you learn. 

• Like 2