Title of the document

Water Stones

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Tmize

Original Post:

So a lil background I’ve always sharpened on diamond stones. Even growing up sharpening pocket knives on diamonds. So my planes and chisels I sharpen paul sellers way 1200 grit the strop. Well I just bought a another type 11 Stanley #4 today an i comes with a basically free 4000/8000 grit Norton stone. So any tips or what to expect differently over my diamonds. I know topics like this usually people out of the wood works so bring them on

Follow Up Posts:

1)  I have the same stones, I keep in a Rubbermaid with water. Also you will need to flatten, not a hard practice, I use a DMT Diamond plate.

2)  Same here

I have the Norton 4000 and 8000, I also have the Norton 200/1000 combo stone.  I think the only thing I wish were different is that they were a little longer, more like the Shaptons.

3)  I read somewhere that the high grits it is better not to soak before using just spray with water while using then dry a store til next time. Any one see a problem with it or see a problem a issue with keeping them soaking.

I have a piece of float glass at my sharpening station that I was just planning on sticking some 220 w/d paper to for flattening

4)  I just re-read Bryan's post. I don't keep any of my stones in water all the time. And it is for no particular reason, I just don't store them that way because of were they are stored.

5)  Maybe I am wrong with the way I do it, but I have stored mine this way for close to 6 years and I haven't had any issues.  I don't sharpen in my shop since it isn't temperature controlled, keep stones in house so they won't freeze, by keeping them wet full time allows me to sharpen in different locations. 

6)  I’m in my basement I sharpen a lot an often. It never gets below freezing down there 3-sides completely underground an I cut a couple vents into the duct work so it stays fairly comfortable. An it’s also Alabama so it don’t drop below freezing 4-5 weeks of the year an it’s random couple days here an there. I probably will not keep them in water all the time anyway.

I guess it came at a good time I notice last night that my extra fine dmt stone has dished out. I didn’t that they was suppose to do that? I have been having issue getting my slight camber on my smoother iron right witch throws off my whole process so. I remedy it with a lil sandpaper but I hate doing that. So I’m going to see if that is my problem all of sudden or it just operator ?

• 7 months later...

That would be a great setup. Will need something to keep them flat. This would be a decent one. Now will it be flat to nasa tolerance nope but it will it be fine for woodworking. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/sharpening/stones/110009-pride-abrasive-truing-stone-for-water-stones?item=70M4100&utm_source=free_google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOHgnsWh7QIVJeeGCh2SrweCEAQYCSABEgKC6PD_BwE

24 minutes ago, Bushwacked said: