Title of the document

What's the name of this Joint

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Tmize

Original Post:

Ok I’m going to do my best to describe this. It’s basically a dado but the first inch or so is dovetailed into the sides. I see it a lot in dividers in casework between drawers. I got a small project I’m starting an want to try out this joint. Also an tips or or how to would be great I think I have it figured out but could always need advise

Follow Up Posts:

1)  Are you sure it isn't a sliding dovetail the whole length of the divider? Thats a pretty common technique.

2)  No I’ve seen D&W cut it in his videos. It’s kind of a cheating sliding dovetail. The pieces I’ll be using are just to narrow to do a full sliding dovetail 1/4-5/16” thick so I was wanting to try this instead of just plowing a dado.

3)  If you are referring to the shaker chest of drawers, I don't know what the joint is called, but it could be something he made up. To me it seems he is trying to save time doing a full sliding dovetail for the front and back of the web frames, then did a M&T for the sides. The sides sit in a shallow dado for additional support.

4)  doucetteandwolfefurniture.com/Home_Page.html

try this link to their website they have videos on the site. Just about all his casework with drawers show the joint for the drawer dividers web frame assembly 

5)  What comes to mind for me is a half blind type of joint. I have a bunch of joint books at home that i look at occasionally and marvel at how cool they look but have never tried. Knowing that I'll fail abysmally every time since I tried once to make my dovetail joint jig to work and failed. I did end up destroying a lot of wood and a bit of gear in the process so fixed the whole thing with a big hammer and threw what was left in the corner.

Then went and played a computer game for a couple of days to get over it.

If no one else answers your question I will have a look in my books and see if I can find something.