Title of the document

Hollow mortise chisels

Tmize

So I finally got some time this afternoon to get in the shop. Between work an family stuff I haven’t had any free time for shop much less stop in here much. So I got some wood milled started getting joinery laid out went over to my new HCM an knocked out the first mortise then about half way thru the second one an the drill bit snaps. Well crap just have 30 more to go ?. Well I wasn’t feeling all into it to start bashing out them all with my mortise chisel. That an it would throw my layout out a lil since I use my marking gauge straight from the HC bit. 

So I went to online to Lee Valley I remembered they carried HCM chisels. Holy cow I bite the bullet an bought the premium 1/4” since that is the size I use the most. But $50 for one bit is a lot. I could have gotten the economy one but it just kept running thru my head breaking it again. These bit better come just damn perfect out of the pack just minor honing. I’ll let y’all know how it goes in a week 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That is spendy! Hopefully it is all you expect. I like the idea of spending bigger money on a sized tool that you use most often. Did hear that when it comes to chisels.....buy a really nice 1/4 or 1/2” and can get buy with a less expensive complete set. 

Glad you found time in the shop! What is the project you have going?

33 minutes ago, Jamie said:

That is spendy! Hopefully it is all you expect. I like the idea of spending bigger money on a sized tool that you use most often. Did hear that when it comes to chisels.....buy a really nice 1/4 or 1/2” and can get buy with a less expensive complete set. 

Glad you found time in the shop! What is the project you have going?

I do hope this one will be a good one if not I’ll buy a bunch of the cheap ones at $15 a piece to keep on hand. 

It a low bookcase to go in behind our back door. Small enough dead space to squeeze it in there an be functional. It will match all the rest of the stuff I’ve been building lately. It’s all frame an panel with a ship lap backboard. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:13 PM, Kev said:

I can honestly say I've never broken a HCM bit..  I'm thinking you got a bum one in the deal!

I agree! 

Re sharpening I have never had one come sharp regardless of price. Definitely sharpen and hone them you will be glad you did as they will work way better. I use the Lee Valley bits and they will stay sharp longer but do need to be sharpened and honed

I use this process https://www.finewoodworking.com/2014/06/02/how-to-sharpen-hollow-chisel-mortising-bits 

• Like 5

Well I got the new chisel in this week. They very solidly built. The mill marks was very faint some I started out on my 1200 grit stone an worked up to my 8000 grit. Very quickly maybe 20 seconds an had a nice polish. Now did it just blow me away in performance well no. I could tell that it was thicker metal construction so that may mean that they will hold up longer than stock 

• Like 3