Title of the document

Marc's cabinet builds

Chet

submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

I have seen him do this a few times now and thing it’s a pretty cool idea and saves quite a bit of ply too. Sure it seems to take a bit of extra time but the trade seems like a good one. ... if it’s not clear I’m talking about how he uses the braces across all with dados to sit flush with no backs. I I think I’m going to try this on my next shop cabinet build. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Follow up posts - 

1)  Definitely a good and money saving idea in the shop.  It can be a pretty common technique, bath room vanities come to mind.  If you mass produce vanities in this way they will work in pretty much any bathroom's plumbing layout.  When we bought this house the base cabinets in the kitchen were built like this also... made cheap cabinets even cheaper.  

2) Time and money saver for sure but, not always the best idea. It's really dependent on the wall behind the cabinet or holes/openings that you have in the tops.

I'll be building a new miter station for the new shop and all the cabinets will be modular, similar to what Marc did. Even tho I should have perfect walls, I may still put backs in the cabinets just to keep dust and crap from getting in the cabinet. We'll see when I get there.

3) So money and time aside ... would the biggest thing be dust and crap getting in there through the back? I guess especially on a liter saw station where dust will be plenty... 

My walls are ok. Mostly straight but not flat and typical quick construction built. However I’ll be redoing the drywall and I hope to get them flat and not warped. Also nothing crazy like he has at the bottom.

4) For me, yes.  I put things in drawers and cabinets to keep the dust off.  Another thought to consider...  You know that little tiny, very important, item you store in that cabinet?  You know it's going to fall out the back and under the cabinet forcing you to either tear up your cabinet or buy another very important little tiny item..  Murphy says that will happen..  Just saying... 

5) Hah. Ya you are probably right on losing that important tiny little part. We could still take cabinets out though. As much of a pain as that is

6)Would that be a legitimate consideration being a miter station?  A lot of work to get that set up again.

If I were doing open backs, I would leave the bottoms removable for exactly that reason.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus