Title of the document

Miter Station Fences

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

For those of you that follow the Woodwhisperer, I'm interested in your thoughts on him doing away with the extended fences.

As posted in another thread, We're just putting the final touches on my next miter station and I'm not too sure that I agree that leaving off the extended fences.

I don't have any inside information other than what's been posted publicly but, I believe the premise is that it's easier to put rough stock up there to cut to rough length with just the standard MS fences.  

I'm not sure about all of you but, isn't conventional wisdom to break down rough stock with a jig saw rather than the miter saw? Does that lack of extended fences replace this conventional wisdom? Are we taking shortcuts on shop safety? Am I missing something entirely?

As my plans will be out before Marc's videos come out, I'm very interested to see if there's something that I'm missing? My set up will have extended fences regardless. However, as usual, my fences will be both adjustable and removable.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Submitted on the old forum by woodenskye

I would go without a fence that runs the whole length of the miter saw station. From the original fence on the saw, I would probably go no more than 12" with the fence. The board is only needs to register against the fence on the saw. I would rather have the work space. With that being said, having a small shop, I'm a bigger fan of losing the miter saw all together.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

For the record, I do think the fences need to be movable for a multitude of reasons and, I also think they need to be removable for a multitude of reasons.

I guess what I'm really questioning is, is this the proper tool to break down rough stock to rough length? This seems to be the reasoning behind removing the fences.