Title of the document

Shop A/C

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Coop

After a couple of years of watching me working in the shop in the the Houston summer climate, my wife almost insisted that I install an A/C unit. Our winters are relatively mild but there are below freezing days. I looked into different options and for me, the simplest and most economical was a window unit that provides both. It has been a year round, climate controlled shop. With the garage doors closed, it also stopped neighbors from walking over and killing my time and drinking my beer! 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Submitted on the old forum by woodenskye

The unmitigated gall of those neighbors coming over to drink your beer!

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

I will be going with the mini split option in the new shop. I’m also still learning open the possibility that I’ll also add a pellet stove for some of those colder winter days 

Submitted on the old forum by keggers

I had an air source heat pump installed in my shop this summer. My central unit went out and had to be replaced. The new unit doesn't cool the shop as well as I'd like since every machine in the shop including the lights produces heat. The best it can do is keep the shop around 75 degrees when I have all the machines running. I'm not complaining - kudos to those folks who work with no ac/heat.

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

Well, I paid close attention to the insulation in the new building as well as going with LED lighting.  So, I'm hoping that the mini split will keep up in the summer.  If if won't in the winter then, I'm fine dropping another pellet stove in.