Title of the document

Drawer Glides

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Coop

I’m about to start a side table for my wife’s side of the bed and it will have two drawers, approx. 18” wide. I don’t really want to use store bought metal glides but would rather use the kind where I cut the groove in the side of the drawer and have a wooden runner attached to the frame. Is there a correct name for this? 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

Good question! I've just always called them wood runners as well..

Certainly nothing wrong with wood runners but, I'm not sure I'd want them for that location.. As things change, if they become sticky, you end up pulling things on the table onto the floor. Especially if you're trying to get in that drawer quickly in the middle of the night.. You know, to get your phone to call 911 for that intruder in your house 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Thanks guys. The table on my side of the bed contains the 911 facility. So Kev, given the width of the drawers, do you recommend the bottom mount glides like you used on your last build?

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

That would be my go to Coop but, you could also get away with good side glides as well. Really depends on if you want to lose 1" of drawer space side to side and see the glides or, lose 1/2" of depth in your drawer and not see the glides. Both function very well but, there is more adjustability in the Blum under-mount glides that really help you dial in a drawer front to a perfect fit.

The rest of the bedroom furniture drawers have under mount soft close drawers which really make it nice in the morning while getting ready for work without waking the wife. Are the Blum that you use soft close and I guess it’s advisable to purchase the mounting tool?