Title of the document

The Green House

OK so far this is where I is at. Just finished putting the battens on. Put the criss cross tensioners on, on Friday. Saturday I was building a little covered box type structure that you could sit inside when it rains and shoot targets from (For a local air rifle target club). One of the clubs main blokes was there giving me a hand a recipe for change. So my simple design kept changing, ie "How about if we could sit in it and shoot Bench Rest as well, just like other clubs" 

And what do u know...Sunday arrived as it will since it comes after Saturday. The regulars showed up for a shoot, the gods must have been listening in and watching because  we had a sudden unexpected deluge and guess what. NO ONE used it while it was raining.  It did get a brief run earlier while someone used it to line their rifle up as they hadn't used it in several months.

I hopped in it to see just how well it worked. I didn't get wet, though I decided that the roofing iron wasn't long enough. 

Green House.JPG

Edited by That Kiwi Bloke
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

1240644810_FirstSheetinplace.thumb.JPG.80115409dc0ea06117d97865a844da07.JPG

First sheet of plastic on. . . and we are off. . .

1468904743_Lastsheetfortheday.JPG.09d2ce58898144ca007de3fb2a7a6ef1.JPG

Four hours later the first packet is on. . . .

Took a lot longer to screw down than I was expecting. The ground wasn't flat so has to position the ladder so it was stable every time, then I had to wiggle my way through the strapping and not fall of the ladder to get the screws in. The metal ridge piece goes on in sections and i can only reach across one sheet of plastic at a time. I was using a self drilling tech screw that was about 5mm to short. I didn't take into consideration the self drill part of the screw when I was buying them.

I tried to get this as square as possible and keep it square with everything parallel and so forth but I still managed to screw things up as I went and its not very square and the trusses aren't very parallel. They are vertical though so I didn't screw that up completely.

So If i keep taking pictures at angles you won't be able to see just how bad things are.

So when I was adding the roof ridge metal i found that it was starting to dip at one end as i went along so i came up with method to keep the whole thing at a standard height.

357850464_Ridgethingies.thumb.JPG.00bea3bdfb5f8b696a070f2168154d59.JPG

And then they looked like this. . .

109749995_Ridgesonthethingies.JPG.fdee448bad7f9d1b2e05982b3c5f063a.JPG

And a shot from inside with the roof on and almost all the lower walls on. . .

Inside.thumb.JPG.9c082496c58c037dd83bf3799dccc4ba.JPG

And from the outside with the roof and the walls but no doors or upper ends.Almost.thumb.JPG.3ecb1b6e8ba1a74ec26630b14a77eb68.JPG

The blue corrugated plastic was cheap and NASTY. Discovered it wasn't parallel. The ends were wider than the middle. Found out that what while I thought we'd we'd managed to get the main posts in their right places we were out slightly. All the little errors seemed to magnify as I went along. 

Little things definitly made bigger things. The trusses as i may have said earlier while vertical weren't at 90 degrees and or parallel with the ends.

Definitely going to try something else the next time I build another one of these. Not even half way there yet, though its almost clad.

Still have to cut the window vents out on the walls.

• Like 3